Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > moments.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-07-2015, 10:59 AM
markreed
mouseman

Re: 2015-03-06 London - Hyde and Price
It certainly felt a lot more rigid than RFH. Having seen the Smith/Hyde/Emerson, Smith/Hyde, Smith/Hyde/Price, and now Hyde/Price, the Rick-less version of the band is the least convincing. I know Rick can't help being ill, but I overheard conversation around this outside from others that they couldn't tell what Darren actually did apart from press "start" and "stop". (Harsh!). Certainly on some of them, I think there were sections where the whole song is largely preconfigured and arranged and Darren's role is to ensure that the set runs on autopilot.

Since drum machines don't get tired, I can't see why the set was 25 minutes shorter than RFH, apart from the fact that too many instrumental tracks would highlight Rick's absence even more. The band could've come on at 8.30, and play an extra 45 minutes of say, "Pearls Girl", "Jumbo", "Two Months Off", "Crocodile", "Always Loved A Film", "Dark Train", etc. The whole evening did feel it had an element of 'waiting for the hits' from the crowd.