Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:21 PM
Leon
bungalow

DJ Shadow - Endtroducing...
I can't get over the beauty of one of my all-time favorite records: Endtroducing.

I know, it's quite a few years old now, but it still is amazing. I've spent lots and lots of (stoned) moments listening to this record. At nighttime. In the bus, tram, metro and train. In the subway. In fall, with cold, heavy wind, a white sky and depressed people.

It works for me everytime.

This is one of those records that has some kind of magic over it. It's got a beauty that cannot and should not be explained. This record proves there is no limit in HOW to write music. Sampling truly is art (if done rightly of course). This music isn't simply music, it's an experience. Also, I don't think you really need to be a hiphop fan to like this. Of course, it helps.

My favorite tracks:
Changeling. The drums alone are worth listening to. Offbeat rhythm, and some wicked effects in there. The sounds are so sweet. The ending of the song is an eargasmic experience.

What Does Your Soul Look Like (Part 4). At first I hated this track, but I've grown to LOVE it. The slow beat, the pitched down vocal, the saxophone and the ever ongoing build up. It's got such a romantic, sexual groove.

This whole album is gorgeous. I can't get over it.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:09 PM
Ally
Henreeeeeeeeeecat! :)

Send a message via MSN to Ally
Re: DJ Shadow - Endtroducing...
Think I'll need to listen to this...
Old 12-05-2007, 01:16 PM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally
Think I'll need to listen to this...

you haven't yet?!??!?!?!??!

wow

I'd seriously put "Endtroducing..." down as one of my 'essential' albums to own
Old 12-05-2007, 01:35 PM
sanakan
junkie-criminal-fugitive

seconded.!
Old 12-05-2007, 02:08 PM
King of Snake
smoking on the airplane

I don't think I've ever heard it either.
Will download soon ...
Old 12-05-2007, 02:21 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Not a huge hip-hop fan nor do i get a huge kick out of hearing music solely based on samples (nearly threw the Wiseguys CD out of my car the other day!), but my favorite two examples of artists who are truly that, artistic in their integration of old, obscure, and diverse vinyl sounds are Lemon Jelly and DJ Shadow. Something about Endtroducing is that it's just so hook-laden and catchy that, hip-hop or samples or whatnot, there's something for almost everyone. A real classic.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:02 PM
Leon
bungalow

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden
Not a huge hip-hop fan nor do i get a huge kick out of hearing music solely based on samples (nearly threw the Wiseguys CD out of my car the other day!), but my favorite two examples of artists who are truly that, artistic in their integration of old, obscure, and diverse vinyl sounds are Lemon Jelly and DJ Shadow. Something about Endtroducing is that it's just so hook-laden and catchy that, hip-hop or samples or whatnot, there's something for almost everyone. A real classic.
The thing is, DJ Shadow has a hiphop background and is influenced by hiphop, but apart from the hiphop tempo and rhythms, it really ISN'T hiphop (if we use the term "hiphop" as a music style here for a moment). I think, in a way, you can compare it to Burial. Which is influenced by 2-step and all that, but there's much more to it.

Another cool thing about Endtroducing is, the fact that I don't recognize any samples that are used in it. I heard DJ Shadow did release a cd with most of the originals where the samples come from. I don't know if I want to hear that, though.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:49 PM
mmm skyscraper
fac123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon
Another cool thing about Endtroducing is, the fact that I don't recognize any samples that are used in it. I heard DJ Shadow did release a cd with most of the originals where the samples come from. I don't know if I want to hear that, though.
It's always weird when you hear a sample in a movie. 'What Does Your Soul Look Like (Part 1)' [the one on Preemptive Strike, not sure about the Endtroducing version] has a part that goes "Don't you want to listen? No, I heard it the last time." and that comes from the movie Westworld, which I didn't see until after hearing the song. When I saw the movie it was like deja vu, but I actually had heard it before.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:24 AM
sanakan
junkie-criminal-fugitive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm skyscraper
It's always weird when you hear a sample in a movie. 'What Does Your Soul Look Like (Part 1)' [the one on Preemptive Strike, not sure about the Endtroducing version] has a part that goes "Don't you want to listen? No, I heard it the last time." and that comes from the movie Westworld, which I didn't see until after hearing the song. When I saw the movie it was like deja vu, but I actually had heard it before.

hehe, i had a similar experience with this sample from What Does Your Soul Look Like - Pt2:
Quote:
In a few moments you will have an experience which will seem completely real...
it will be the result of your subconscious fears, transformed to your conscious awareness...
you have 5 seconds to terminate this tape...
5, 4, 3, 2, 1.
it's a sample from project brainstorm, which i saw a few times in german, but about a year ago i saw the english version, where some army guy speaks this as a warning for the audience for a particulary nasty recording.
i was like: "aahhhhhhaaaa!! that's where it is from!"
Old 12-05-2007, 06:58 PM
Future Proof
Richard Simmons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon
Changeling. The drums alone are worth listening to. Offbeat rhythm, and some wicked effects in there. The sounds are so sweet. The ending of the song is an eargasmic experience.
Yea, when the bass comes in after that psychadelic breakdown, and then that lilting rhodes piano... and the guitar at the end, and how it comes in with its own tempo as if it is actually talking about and explaining what just happened in the track...

Perfection.

EDIT: And to those that haven't heard this album, whether you like trip-hop, instrumental rap or whatever you wanna call this album, you've really missed out on an album many consider to be the best of its kind. You definately owe it to yourself to hear it at least once.

Last edited by Future Proof; 12-05-2007 at 07:10 PM.