Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > static.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2010, 03:27 PM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

Amsterdam Recommendations?
So my g/f and I are flying there this weekend from Glasgow.

I already know that we're planning on checking out: Van Gogh Museum, the National Art Museum... probably the "Heinekin Experience" just b/c how absurd it is, and definitely a coffee shop or two

but any places we should check out / avoid?

I've only been there once for a few days - and that was 5 or 6 years ago (and I was with my sister) and Zoe's never been...
Old 11-04-2010, 02:16 AM
bryantm3
It's Written In The Book!

Re: Amsterdam Recommendations?
marijuana and prostitutes.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:32 AM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ
SystematicallyDisadsomthg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
marijuana and prostitutes.
Ya knooooww, just off the top of my head, but I don't think either of those is Kosher bryantm3.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:31 PM
stimpee
Administrator

Meet me for a beer. that has to be your highest priority. PM plz
Old 11-04-2010, 10:26 PM
bryantm3
It's Written In The Book!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jOHN rODRIGUEZ View Post
Ya knooooww, just off the top of my head, but I don't think either of those is Kosher bryantm3.

isn't that the first thing you think of when you think of amsterdam? it's not my fault, it's the society that i was raised in!

on a separate note, marijuana doesn't have a prohibition (tobacco is OK as well). prostitution is obviously a no-go. no big deal, that's pretty much how i feel it should be (prostitution illegal, and marijuana legal).
Old 11-05-2010, 02:24 AM
stimpee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
on a separate note, marijuana doesn't have a prohibition (tobacco is OK as well). prostitution is obviously a no-go. no big deal, that's pretty much how i feel it should be (prostitution illegal, and marijuana legal).
okay, this isnt conributing to this thread really is it? i've lived in NL for 9 years and i guess the first things i think of when i think of this country arent marijuana and prostitution. and marijuana is more legal in the USA (here its just decriminalized), and prostitution is legal in many countries. I do like the amsterdam red-light though. It keeps all the tourists in one place and I can avoid them. Nice to pass through once in a while tho.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:06 AM
stimpee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethelion View Post
avoid? heineken experience If you want authentic dutch breweries, then check out de Ooievaar Genever distillery, http://www.de-ooievaar.nl/english/ and the IJ Brewery http://www.brouwerijhetij.nl/index_en.htm both well worth the visit and unique to amsterdam. The brewery is in a windmill and is open from 3pm to 8pm and gets *very* busy but its got GREAT atmosphere. take a tram 10 from Leidseplein or a 22 bus from Centraal Station. Just ask for the windmill brewery http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brouwerij_%27t_IJ

you have to have pannenkoeken too (pancakes). try the pannenkoek house by the Paradiso (also a legendary gig venue), near leidseplein. If not, there is the round pannenkoek place next to the awful Heineken Experience. They even do pancake-pizzas (pancake base, pizza toppings) which are delicious. Youre also coming in autumn so if you see these mobile trucks selling doughnut like things, then be sure to buy them. Theyre called Oliebollen. I recommend the Krentebollen (current balls), be sure to get the icing sugar all over you like I do.

If you really want to get high, avoid Bulldog and Rokerij because theyre full of tourists. Although the Rokerij does have good stuff. Avoid the space cakes. The Abraxas coffeeshop is a great friendly coffeeshop. Their milkshakes are excellent. If youre gonna buy any weed, go for the Sativa (haze/mist), not the Indica (white widow/skunk) if you want to be able to walk the rest of the day.

And srsly, PM me. I'm free tomorrow

EDIT: pancake places http://worldwidefoodguide.wordpress....pancake-house/ and http://www.pancake.nl/ forgot about these two. theyre better than the two i mentioned above.

Last edited by stimpee; 11-05-2010 at 03:25 AM.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:59 AM
fraser
life kid

Send a message via AIM to fraser Send a message via Yahoo to fraser
Quote:
Originally Posted by joethelion View Post
So my g/f and I are flying there this weekend from Glasgow.

I already know that we're planning on checking out: Van Gogh Museum, the National Art Museum... probably the "Heinekin Experience" just b/c how absurd it is, and definitely a coffee shop or two

I've only been there once for a few days - and that was 5 or 6 years ago (and I was with my sister) and Zoe's never been...
As a fellow jock who recently visited Amsterdam, I must recommend a trip to Cafe Winkel! For all the naughty delights the city is famous for, I personally suggest throwing caution to the wind and ordering the best apple pie in the world. Ever.

Hope this recommendation doesnt come too late!
Old 11-09-2010, 06:36 AM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

damn.

I totally missed this thread.
The hotel we stayed at had shitty, expensive WiFi - so I never used my laptop while there...

but we did manage to have some great pancakes, a bit of a smoke, and avoided most of the tourists.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:14 AM
Mike
born013

I quite enjoyed the Sex Museum. Also, don't meet up with Stimpee because he will only drag you around the red lights lol ;-)