Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:08 AM
bryantm3
It's Written In The Book!

cut copy- zonoscope
just bought this last night. going to give it a spin tomorrow. anyone heard this, and if so, what do you think?
Old 05-15-2011, 08:54 AM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

Re: cut copy- zonoscope
I was seriously disappointed. It's not a bad record but coming after In Ghost Colours, it was a huge letdown. The songs themselves don't have the catchy hooks/chorus that I expected. They were pretty good live and now that LCD are gone and Out Hud aren't together, Cut Copy may be your best chance to see live Indie-Dance.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:17 AM
unwound floors
power before passion.

Agreed with BrotherLovesDub - doesn't top In Ghost Colours, but it's still a fun and satisfying listen. Standout tracks: 'Pharaohs and Pyramids', 'Take Me Over' and 'Sun God'.

I had a media pass to their show here in Melbourne a few weeks ago, and it was excellent - they're just too much fun to watch. I wrote a review here, if anyone is interested: http://www.inthemix.com.au/events/re...ourne_05052011
Old 05-15-2011, 09:58 AM
cdave2
dancin' fool

It's on my to-buy list for "Need You Now" (a thoroughly affecting pop song, even if it owes a huge debt to Donna Summer/Giorgio Moroder's "Now I Need You") and the trippier "Sun God". They're stretching themselves a little bit and while they haven't nailed every track, I think the highlights are worth it. I agree with BrotherLovesDub that Cut Copy are good live and I'm biased toward them because of that. YMMV.

P.S. Just saw unwound floor's post - agreed, and thanks for the review!
Old 05-16-2011, 06:25 AM
stimpee
Administrator

Then again BrotherLovesDub did also say that the last LCD album was awful before doing a U-Turn. *troll*
Old 05-16-2011, 06:28 AM
crank
I'm a big sister

+1
Old 05-18-2011, 08:04 PM
lovephonic
river

I was so into In Ghost Colours that I was afraid to hear Zonoscope. It's a difficult task to follow up a really great album. IGC was so good, and so dead on, that any followup that doesn't satisfy the need for more is going to seem like a step back.

If you're looking for more Light & Music or Hearts on Fire, disappointment is imminent. However, when you set this album on it's own, it's undeniable that it has legs.

If you get the chance to see a show live, the songs will make more sense. I had the pleasure of seeing their show every night on their recent north american tour (and got to see Underworld for about 2 minutes at Ultra in Miami because of it), and I gained a much different appreciation for the songs as a result.

Anyone heard the Architecture in Helsinki remix of Need You Now?
Old 05-19-2011, 06:24 PM
Troy McClure
I'm the Spoonman

I listened to the Architecture in Helsinki remix of Need You Now today. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I like the Craig Craig remix, too, but it's a tad long for my taste. I'm sure it will be popular in the clubs and mixes.

Jason
Old 05-19-2011, 07:46 PM
darktrain