Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 07-18-2019, 03:47 AM
domsgotsideburns
mouseman

ATL080328 - 23 minute Born Slippy (Original)/Pearls Girl/Beautiful Burnout live jam
https://www.mixcloud.com/UnderworldLive/atl080328/

A transmission from the beating heart of an Underworld show in Atlanta 2008, recorded direct off Rick’s mixer, putting you up on stage between Rick and Karl live at Center Stage Theatre. Three tracks, live jammed and interwoven – Born Slippy (original version, not Nuxx), Pearls Girl (Crazy deconstruction) and Beautiful Burnout.

“Hey Atlanta! First time was in ‘86, outside the venue I bought a tie-dye from a DeadHead driving his Beetle across America (was that you?). In the 90’s I walked out on stage and said “It’s great to be back in Chicago” – Damn! – were you there? (Thank you for not kicking me out!).
In 2008 we played Center Stage – (somebody said Elton John rehearsed there..?)
We had a rubbish soundcheck but a great gig. I talked to a bunch of guys in the afternoon who were engaging, warm and enthusiastic (was that you?) – What do you remember? What’s your story? Atlanta?” (Karl)
  1. Born Slippy
  2. Pearls Girl
  3. Beautiful Burnout
Old 07-18-2019, 03:53 AM
domsgotsideburns
mouseman

Re: ATL080328 - 23 minute Born Slippy (Original)/Pearls Girl/Beautiful Burnout live j
this jam is a beast! it's loud and clear, and each track segues into one another very precisely. the deconstruction of Pearls Girl into Beautiful Burnout sounds pretty awesome. definitely a great recording that captures the band's live magic of this era
Old 07-18-2019, 03:54 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

Re: ATL080328 - 23 minute Born Slippy (Original)/Pearls Girl/Beautiful Burnout live j
Can someone grab this audio for me? I’m traveling for the next two weeks and my connection is terrible. I was at this show and would love to hear it when I get the chance to.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:39 AM
iamneorev
pants

I wish they would release all of this stuff. I don't like being stuck listening to Mixcloud, Soundcloud, and YouTube and it sucks being stuck with low bitrate lossy rips. I hope they have plans for this stuff in proper quality.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:18 AM
negative1

another excellent snippet of a time long gone, when every track
was exciting.

later
Old 07-18-2019, 10:19 AM
khouri
khondo dweller

I wish I could understand why Underworld changed the nature of their live show. This recording is plainly stronger than anything they've done live in the last, what, ten years? If it's a creative choice, I'd love to hear the thinking behind it.

EDIT: previous phrasing was unnecessarily harsh.

Last edited by khouri; 07-18-2019 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:27 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

you approach a band who make deliberate aesthetic decisions about their live show and try to get them to admit that the old days were better, you're probably not going to get an answer, and be left with their live show as it is, hoping that you understand it someday.

I don't get it either. this idea of listing your songs out on a screen instead of leaning into the visual and audio synthesis that made them so much more potent to me... "Rez" "Cowgirl" "Moaner." it all reads to me as Jeb Bush's "please clap" of dance music. "it is 'rez' time. please dance". are these song titles alone supposed to be invocations with the power to generate its own response? cut the crap and wring the dance out of us m8. but they're not coming from where I am with it. maybe there's a symbolism behind it I haven't gotten to. oh well? I still feel like it was a bit much of me to skip on their last tour for it and wish they'd swing by again.

edit: i should also be a little nicer about it

Last edited by dubman; 07-18-2019 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:32 PM
negative1

every few years, the discussion of underworld not doing improvs comes up.

there have been several posts about i think, back in 2008, and the last one
in 2016, which got to 6 pages:

https://www.borndirty.org/forums/sho...t=18319&page=6

later
Old 07-18-2019, 04:40 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatobroth View Post
Can someone grab this audio for me? I’m traveling for the next two weeks and my connection is terrible.
Should be available on Mixcloud indefinitely.

To download:

http://www.mixcloud-downloader.com
Old 07-18-2019, 07:31 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by negative1 View Post
every few years, the discussion of underworld not doing improvs comes up.

there have been several posts about i think, back in 2008, and the last one
in 2016, which got to 6 pages:

https://www.borndirty.org/forums/sho...t=18319&page=6

later

maybe that's why there's that quote running around somewhere where they said they don't really have a fan club, which still makes me lol

who wants to listen to a bunch of archaic vbulletin miserablists! they are interested in what they're doing now, not what some stubbleface collector goblin remembers from 1999. who plays to that?? if they even pretended to listen to us that beaucoup fish boxset would be.... so very different.

b̵̥̩̟u҉̰̠t̶̤ ̦̩̲̙̻͎w͖̮̰͕e̶͈͈̪͚ ̯̖͎r͈̩̘̝̮e͏̬͚̦͕̙me͔̱̮͚͎͖ͅm̖̥͉͖̪̙̪b͔ęr̛̭̞̞ ̯͚̞͈̤̻a͇̺̱͉͎n̫̻̞͙͕̭̪d̮̥̦̼̬̝ ̻̝̀w͏̖̳͍̰̩̗e̯͖͇̯̜̝ͅ ̸̩̝̩̫ͅk̥̞̮͉͕̭̞͠n̫͚̞̜o͎̙̬͔̕w̛̻̜̠̙͇̼ ̰͔ẃ̬͎̩͕̞h͚̟͙̬̝a̖͙͇̝͈͍̠t̫'̗͖̺̺̜̜̺͝s̫ h͇͈͉̼͟a͓͓p̠̬̦̗͠p҉̣̻e͈̠͈͘ṇ̴̟̠͓̙̼̥e҉͈̠̼̖ḑ͎̻͉̤̼

then again, these interstitial nuggets between Drifts are clearly for us, so... who knows.

Last edited by dubman; 07-18-2019 at 07:43 PM.