Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2005, 12:10 PM
bryantm3
It's Written In The Book!

underworld live
i don't like underworld live like i like their studio stuff, because even though not planning stuff and just doing it on a whim can be fun, but if you listen to 'push upstairs' it sounds like karl was totally unprepared for the song, and he was singing off-key and out of breath, and it just sounds terrible, imo. another thing is how they do their live concerts. there's just a turntable (mixer, computer, whatever you want to call it) and karl jumping around singing, with a big flashing screen behind them. where's the drummer, keyboardist, etc? it would sound so much better if they had live drums, or even someone playing electronic drums on their tours, and focus more on the music than the visual effects. i'm probably going to get flamed for this, but it's how i really feel, and i hope they might take this into consideration in the future.

Last edited by bryantm3; 09-18-2005 at 05:14 AM.
Old 09-17-2005, 12:43 PM
stimpee
Administrator

Re: underworld live
Can anyone else be bothered to reply to this? I'm at a loss for words (for once).
Old 09-17-2005, 12:44 PM
Jason Roth
The Vice President

No idea what to say either.
Old 09-17-2005, 12:46 PM
//\/\/
slogging it out

drunk post?
Old 09-17-2005, 12:57 PM
ndrwrld
blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3
i don't like underworld live like i like their studio stuff, because even though not planning stuff and just doing it on a whim can be fun, but if you listen to 'push upstairs' it sounds like rick was totally unprepared for the song, and he was singing off-key and out of breath, and it just sounds terrible, imo. another thing is how they do their live concerts. there's just a turntable and karl jumping around singing, with a big flashing screen behind them. where's the drummer, keyboardist, etc? it would sound so much better if they had live drums, or even someone playing electronic drums on their tours, and focus more on the music than the visual effects. i'm probably going to get flamed for this, but it's how i really feel, and i hope they might take this into consideration in the future.
consider yourself Flamed.
by the way, isnt it Karl singing on ' push upstairs ' ?
off key ? out of breath ?
you try jumping around and dancing like Karl does for ( on average ) 5 songs before Push Upstairs kicks in, and not feel a little winded.
but...thats just me.
Old 09-17-2005, 01:17 PM
BeautifulBurnout
MadMinistrator

Quote:
... and i hope they might take this into consideration in the future.
Sorry, sweety. But I really, really hope they DON'T!

Just keep it the way it is guys... the way you want it to be. The energy is awesome.

Edit: Just a turntable? I don't think you have been to the same gigs as me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpee
Can anyone else be bothered to reply to this? I'm at a loss for words (for once).
\o/

I knew it would happen one day... who says there is no god?

Last edited by BeautifulBurnout; 09-17-2005 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-17-2005, 01:50 PM
King of Snake
smoking on the airplane

Quote:
i don't like underworld live like i like their studio stuff, because even though not planning stuff and just doing it on a whim can be fun, but if you listen to 'push upstairs' it sounds like rick was totally unprepared for the song, and he was singing off-key and out of breath, and it just sounds terrible, imo. another thing is how they do their live concerts. there's just a turntable and karl jumping around singing, with a big flashing screen behind them. where's the drummer, keyboardist, etc? it would sound so much better if they had live drums, or even someone playing electronic drums on their tours, and focus more on the music than the visual effects. i'm probably going to get flamed for this, but it's how i really feel, and i hope they might take this into consideration in the future.
this is a joke right?

a turntable is pretty much the only thing that is not on stage during an Underworld concert.
I see computers, synths, mixing desks, microphones, guitars, but not turntubles. (okay Karl has this cd "turntable" that he uses to fly in some vocal samples from time to time and do cool scratching fx but that's it)
Where's the drummer? I don't know, there isn't one on the albums so why should there be one on stage? This is techno music, not a rock band.
Maybe you could try and get a hold of some Underworld circa 1980 live footage and that will have a drummer, guitar, bass and keyboards. I'll leave it to you to decide if it sounds any better for it though
Old 09-17-2005, 06:58 PM
Forgotten Sanity
Dirty Bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Snake
this is a joke right?

a turntable is pretty much the only thing that is not on stage during an Underworld concert.
I see computers, synths, mixing desks, microphones, guitars, but not turntubles. (okay Karl has this cd "turntable" that he uses to fly in some vocal samples from time to time and do cool scratching fx but that's it)
Where's the drummer? I don't know, there isn't one on the albums so why should there be one on stage? This is techno music, not a rock band.
Maybe you could try and get a hold of some Underworld circa 1980 live footage and that will have a drummer, guitar, bass and keyboards. I'll leave it to you to decide if it sounds any better for it though
Nice.

Although... maybe he is an old UW/Freur fan and totally forgot about them for ages, only to pick up an MK2 or MK3 CD with horror and shriek "MY GOD MAN! What is this rubbish?"

Then again, anyone doing that and I mean anyone, that will be the day that the apocalypse begins and Dubya resigns from office to join Greenpeace...

But serious. You have to remove yourself from your first impression. And that is, if you have no idea how electronic music is made then what they do live may be pretty underwhelming. But Underworld is known and reknown for jamming live with their gear and pushing electronic music to a point of credibility that even people like you, people that respect the craftsmanship of playing live and not the "re-interpretation" so to speak that a DJ does with pre-recorded vinyl, should be able to find something largely impressive about the whole thing. You have to respect the fact that UW doesn't want a live band, as that would pull their live sound too far away from their studio sound. I'm sure that if they wanted to use a live band they would've, hell Karl as a guitarist could definately testify for the upsides of having a live band. But that's not what they're about, at all.

Besides, I've seen electronic bands play with a live band, and it's normally not nearly as locked and tight as a studio record.
Warning: The above post stands a high chance of being rife with sarcasm, cynicism and/or a tongue-in-cheek remark. May not be suitable for children under the age of 12, small farm animals and adults with a sense of humor comparable to a stale cracker. If any of these criteria apply to you, it is advisable to use extreme caution when handling said post, and if irritation occurs consult your physician.

Last edited by Forgotten Sanity; 09-17-2005 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:02 PM
potatobroth
bungalow

Quote:
what in thee fuck are you talking about? could you possibly get more facts wrong?
Old 09-18-2005, 05:15 AM
bryantm3
It's Written In The Book!

Quote:
Originally Posted by //\/\/
drunk post?
well, on this new medicine my doctor gave me, but that's about all. (sorry about saying rick sung. i was thinking backwards, ie: rick or darren at the computer, whatever you want to call it, decided to play the song and karl was caught off guard, but when i was posting i got it all twisted about.

Last edited by bryantm3; 09-18-2005 at 05:18 AM.