Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > world.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2008, 02:47 PM
Sean
Where in the world...?

The Low Road Express
Obama's campaign has launched a new site called "The Low Road Express" that aims to document McCain's negative campaign tactics. Hell yeah.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:58 PM
Deckard
issue 37

Re: The Low Road Express
I have to say I've been really impressed with the way the Obama camp have (cliche alert) harnessed the web. That site (and previous ones) are exactly the right way to get the message out there, not only targetting younger supporters directly, but also the type of people who work in traditional media who will no doubt refer to its key retorts and counterarguments in their newspaper reports, columns and TV bulletins, enabling the message to spread even wider.

Obviously the whole concept of challenging assertions is one that will sit very well with many of us here.

The nice up-to-date design and touches of humour don't go amiss either.

The contrast with the Republicans couldn't be greater - McCain confessing to being computer illiterate, having to rely on his wife for all of the assistance he can get. And he doesn't even do email.

It might sound unfair expecting a 71 year old of McCain's standing to be familiar with computers, but this isn't some pensioner down the road; this is a man running for President. Fairness is besides the point. It's about whether he wants to win the election.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:51 AM
Sarcasmo
apocalypso

Send a message via Yahoo to Sarcasmo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
The contrast with the Republicans couldn't be greater - McCain confessing to being computer illiterate, having to rely on his wife for all of the assistance he can get. And he doesn't even do email.

It might sound unfair expecting a 71 year old of McCain's standing to be familiar with computers, but this isn't some pensioner down the road; this is a man running for President. Fairness is besides the point. It's about whether he wants to win the election.
Precisely something I was going to say. McCain sounds like he's about to yell at the neighbor kids to get off his grass at any minute, or say something like "horseless carriage."

Who gives a shit if you actually know how to use "teh interweb" or not. No one expects YOU to be online. Hire some twenty-something webgeeks to create and administer a page for you. Once or twice a week, have your staff put something relevant or interesting on it. Otherwise, you're dead in the water among anyone under the age of 30.
You dodged a massive fucking bullet, man. The really huge Super Mario kind with the eyes on the side, where you had to run and duck into the little divot to avoid shrinking. You did that. You got into that divot, and you're still super sized, and you can break blocks with your face. Now get out there and step on some fucking turtles!!
Old 08-01-2008, 11:01 AM
Sean
Where in the world...?

...and yet McCain is catching up in the polls. I really don't understand. Are the polls that inaccurate, or are people that ignorant that they're buying into the crap McCain is spewing? I mean, Obama's done his share of political exaggeration, but seriously, just take a quick trip over to factcheck.org and do a quick count of how many stories there are about McCain being untruthful compared to Obama. It's overwhelmingly filled with stories debunking claims and accusations made by McCain.

Go figure.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:22 AM
Sarcasmo
apocalypso

Send a message via Yahoo to Sarcasmo
I really think, beyond all my powers of comprehension, that McCain scored some points with voters by bashing Obama's trip around the globe last week. My question, as is yours, I'm sure, is WHO ARE THE VOTERS WHO ARE BUYING THIS SHIT?!?!?!
You dodged a massive fucking bullet, man. The really huge Super Mario kind with the eyes on the side, where you had to run and duck into the little divot to avoid shrinking. You did that. You got into that divot, and you're still super sized, and you can break blocks with your face. Now get out there and step on some fucking turtles!!
Old 08-01-2008, 11:28 AM
Deckard
issue 37

Also, if the polls are to be believed, I wonder if it goes back to something Cacophony said, about the public largely feeling rather than thinking. After all, Obama is about as far removed from Aw, Shucks as it's possible to be.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:46 AM
Sean
Where in the world...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
Also, if the polls are to be believed, I wonder if it goes back to something Cacophony said, about the public largely feeling rather than thinking. After all, Obama is about as far removed from Aw, Shucks as it's possible to be.
Oh I wouldn't doubt it at all. Most people don't seem too interested in being informed, instead just accepting whatever rhetoric they happen to hear in the nightly news.

That's actually exposed a confusing and glaring contradiction to me, too. You keep hearing the assertion that "Obama is relatively unknown to voters" compared to McCain and other politicians, but the fact is, the majority of voters don't know crap about either because they don't bother to get themselves informed! Yeah Obama's unknown, but so is everyone else!
Old 08-01-2008, 12:32 PM
mmm skyscraper
fac123

So McCain will get to Scotland first, but will never again meet his true love on the banks of Loch Lomond.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:56 PM
Deckard
issue 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
You keep hearing the assertion that "Obama is relatively unknown to voters" compared to McCain and other politicians, but the fact is, the majority of voters don't know crap about either because they don't bother to get themselves informed! Yeah Obama's unknown, but so is everyone else!
Exactly! I wouldn't want to overplay this, but race and (perception of closeness to a certain...) religion probably make Obama seem more of an unknown than McCain. Some people will continue to view him as "one of them" (or rather, "not one of us") despite having been told so much about him already. I wonder if "unknown" is just the diplomatic word for something else.

In addition to that, Obama hasn't been around as long as McCain so I guess there's that to factor into it too.

But really - in the 21st century, in the most developed country on the planet, with rolling news and internet, people have no excuse not to change that "unknown" to "known". I suspect some people just don't want to know.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:36 PM
Rog
the fuckest upest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasmo View Post
McCain sounds like he's about to yell at the neighbor kids to get off his grass at any minute, or say something like "horseless carriage.".

LOL at sarc!! mcCain is the most charistmaticless ( is there such a word?) polololitician evr! heh!

got to go now, i'm fuckin pissed!