Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:06 PM
big screen satellite
Still Number 1

Barking - The Alternative Versions (AKA CD2)
as much as i am looking forward to getting hold of this second selection of Underworld tracks, i'm also fearing a backlash by hardened fans saying this should have been the album - rather than what has been 'officially' released as the album

many artists develop a sound and change it for release - just be grateful for this selection and don't judge against 'Barking' - because the 9 tracks that have been released are what the album should be judged on

Barking is what it is, this bonus selection and the extras elsewhere are just that, bonuses that should be enjoyed independently... so enjoy and don't pass further judgements...
Old 09-06-2010, 04:25 PM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

Re: Barking - The Alternative Versions (AKA CD2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by big screen satellite View Post

many artists develop a sound and change it for release
and some artists develop some sketches and ship them off for trendy dj/producer types to finish for them.

i like Barking, think it's terrific, but it really lacks the quality and detail of Rick Smith's touch that we've come to expect from an Underworld release. Hopefully that will be more evident in the alternate versions.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:47 PM
Sappys Curry
mouseman

I like Barking, but I'd say it is my least favorite album from them from both MK II UW and MK III UW. I'm really looking forward to the alternate tracks, as I'm expecting I'll like it more than the album proper.

Yes, Barking is the album proper. I won't say that 'CD 2' is what the album should have been, but I will count it as, unofficially, another album from them (and as an 'alternate album' that is based on Barking).
Old 09-06-2010, 06:23 PM
the-star-samurai
never to part this sky

Totally agree with this.

All I'm thinking about for CD2 is "HIGHER QUALITY VERSION OF ALAF (SILVER BOOTS)" and etc etc. Because frankly, I'm done with being stuck with the 2005 Lemonworld set rip that I cut myself with Windows Movie Maker.

And plus it's a bside type of thing - and I am all for that. ;D
Old 09-06-2010, 06:36 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
i approache the extra disc as extras, works in progress, sketches before the ultimate release. Rick and Karl consciously decided to work with outside producers for this album, and the result is none too shabby. In fact, it's pretty great, imho.
Whatever the shape and form of the second disc's tracks, they are not on the final LP for a reason. If i like some versions better than the Barking tracks, fine, and i'm happy to have both. If they sound like unfinished works in progress, that's cool, too, though it won't detract from the final form. With the exception of ALAF, all the tracks on Barking seem more final and accessible than their work in progress forms via live or radio show.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:57 PM
stimpee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
Whatever the shape and form of the second disc's tracks, they are not on the final LP for a reason. If i like some versions better than the Barking tracks, fine, and i'm happy to have both. If they sound like unfinished works in progress, that's cool, too, though it won't detract from the final form.
What he said. Take it for what it is. Im not counting this as the album.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:03 AM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

it's not going to be what it should have been, it's going to be what could have been.
they're unfinished, rough, and Barking is the final product and the official "next step" for them, so it goes. but even if it's going to be a bit sad, i'll probably listen to CD2 a lot more regardless of what the principle is, because i'll likely prefer the tracks from a time before they became a pill to swallow.

i like barking as a finished thing. it's fine, but there's no question that it's a compromise of sentiment on my end.

Last edited by dubman; 09-07-2010 at 12:06 AM.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:24 AM
jose m
pants

[QUOTE=Sappys Curry;144156]I like Barking, but I'd say it is my least favorite album from them from both MK II UW and MK III UW. I'm really looking forward to the alternate tracks, as I'm expecting I'll like it more than the album proper.

i don't think it will be.
i think the cd1 IS the album.
as far as i know the recording of cd1 wasn't a case of "doing some sketches and handing them out",rick and karl worked on the tracks with some of the guys and if they weren't in the studio with them the tracks were handed back and forth until a finished mix was sorted NOT just given to the collabs to finish off.
imo
Old 09-07-2010, 01:40 AM
purlieu
enofa

I am looking forward to disc 2 more than the original album, simply because I'm not fond of some of the producers, and I still don't like Scribble really. It may well turn out that I love the finished thing too, but Underworld collaborating with [producer I don't care for] isn't as exciting a prospect as Underworld on their own for me.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:10 AM
razorpilot
scream to go faster

I think it is quite simple:
CD1 - for the 'mass market' - making Underworld more accessible to new people
CD2 - for the loyal fans - It's what most of us have been crying out for the new album to contain.

So then everyone should be happy!... errr.. I hope!?!