Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 08-29-2019, 01:31 PM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

Re: Drift Ep. 5 Part 4 - Tree And Two Chairs
OH! It's that bit from the first 'Drift' preview video!
Old 08-29-2019, 01:46 PM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

I really like it....but where's Karl??
Old 08-29-2019, 04:04 PM
potatobroth
bungalow

with out the lounge-layer, this has lots of potential.
Old 08-29-2019, 05:18 PM
WhiteNoise
I?m good, I?m alright

Fantastic. Love when Underworld mixes with natural instrumentation yet keeps an electronic structure and texture.

Sounds like they're taking incredibly strong cues from Floating Points, an artist I highly recommend to everyone here. He's been from strict electronic to jazz and back again with good results between - this track in particular sounds a lot like FP's King Bromeliad.

It's rough seeing Holding the Moth get slandered in here. I can't comprehend how anyone could call that song a disappointment, the arrangement and production on the back half of that track is transcendent and unlike anything. One of my favorite tracks on the album.

Calling that or this "noodling elevator nonsense" makes me want to hear the lounge music you've been listening to... must be great.

Last edited by WhiteNoise; 08-29-2019 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-30-2019, 05:08 AM
undarrenworld
bungalow

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteNoise View Post
Fantastic. Love when Underworld mixes with natural instrumentation yet keeps an electronic structure and texture.

Sounds like they're taking incredibly strong cues from Floating Points, an artist I highly recommend to everyone here. He's been from strict electronic to jazz and back again with good results between - this track in particular sounds a lot like FP's King Bromeliad.

It's rough seeing Holding the Moth get slandered in here. I can't comprehend how anyone could call that song a disappointment, the arrangement and production on the back half of that track is transcendent and unlike anything. One of my favorite tracks on the album.

Calling that or this "noodling elevator nonsense" makes me want to hear the lounge music you've been listening to... must be great.
I like Floating Points, good sound quality and ideas, but to be honest I dont see the connection really.

Im with you on this one, Holding the Moth is brilliant track and I would like to see new album as mixture between Beaucoup Fish energy and intimacy of Oblivion With Bells. The tracks from Drift series have this potential.

Yeah, that elevator music comment was really not my cup of tea. I was silent on this but, the texture and composition of the track is outstanding. I strongly believe that Rick Smith is musical genius and I do not see "generic Underworld" here, like the comment went on. I can feel its Underworld, when it comes to that pad, probably Ricks favourite synth DX7, you can clearly see its Underworld and nothing else. I can say that I like this track more and more, possibly one of the best from Drift so far to be honest. But I respect the opinion of other members and the discussion here is and always was very important for me. Ok...
Old 08-30-2019, 07:41 AM
domsgotsideburns
mouseman

wow, now this track is jaw-droppingly good. wasn't expecting the teaser snippet to turn into this sharp interplay between digital and jazzy sounds. it's constantly building and doesn't sound like anything else the band has done. sure, the Holding The Moth comparison is there, but it's in no way as flexible or freeform as this. the lounge parts are just barely reminiscent of Cups, but that's pretty much it for comparisons. i can't even complain about the exclusion of Karl's voice - the excellent composition makes up for it this is one of the most forward thinking DRIFT tracks so far, and in my opinion, firmly up there with the best of this project. here's to hoping it gets an inclusion on DRIFT SONGS
Old 08-30-2019, 08:48 AM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

yeah listening to this for a second time I don't even miss Karl. I love that Drift is giving us so many of these more freeform jam tracks that resemble the better parts of the bonus discs on the deluxe boxsets.
Old 08-30-2019, 02:08 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethelion View Post
OH! It's that bit from the first 'Drift' preview video!
Nice spotting. I forgot about that. The usage in the trailer corresponds to roughly the 3:20 mark in this song.
Old 08-30-2019, 04:35 PM
Billy Goat
mouseman

Re: Drift Ep. 5, Part 4 - Tree And Two Chairs (Film Edit)
I suspect this might be the other track that there is a long jam version of with the Necks!
Old 08-31-2019, 03:13 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Re: Drift Ep. 5, Part 4 - Tree And Two Chairs (Film Edit)
Ok, I'm not sure if this is the place for this comment, but.
I'm very glad that UW is releasing challenging material. If we all loved all of it, that would signal a lack of growth or playing to the past. Each Drift episode has featured an array of styles, and speaking for myself, they're not all winners. Some take multiple listens to "get", others feel unfinished, some are bona fide crowd pleasers. But what a great time to be a fan! Choose what you love from Drift and make your own album. Take it all as is and debate the merits. Or, approach it all as demos, await the album and discard the rest.

Really, a wonderful, fruitful period for the band and us fans. I'm looking forward to the final product, but enjoying the path along the way. I have compiled my preferred record from the individual episodes, but that's just private. I'm sure Rick and Karl will surprise me. I'll accept that as their preferred record, but always have the year of releases to reconfigure.

Last edited by holden; 08-31-2019 at 03:17 PM.