Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 03-31-2023, 09:42 PM
aphasein
ping!

Send a message via AIM to aphasein
The Drift Album Experience
Hello!

Been a long time since posting here, but news of the impeding single and hopefully album got me excited to sit down tonight and carve the Drift box set into full length albums that have been bouncing round my head.

Plus, wanted to share my experience from a couple months ago with finally getting the Sampler on vinyl that started all this. It's not the most accessible method, but quickest to just post screenshots to show their contents. All are around 60-something minutes.

Drift Songs - Right after the box set came out, I made a full-length mix of the extra tracks added to each disc and named it after the original proposed set cover. Been a favorite for a while, but finally switched up the middle tracks to flow better.

Another Silent Way - naming these mixes after their first track, since using all the individual track covers and first one will show anyway. Think it worked out great though, as Another Silent Way focuses on the more energetic colorful tracks.

Brussels - mix of the dark, more driving tracks, though it breaks the surface towards the light at the end. One I'm most looking forward to. Kept the original Soniamode.

Manchester Street Poem - minor edit, just moved Charlie and Doris to the end to keep the techno groove going through first half and give a more epic ending. Doris belongs best on this album and is hard to play anything after it (feels to me like a track off Autechre's Amber album).

Listen To Their No - a reconfiguring of the Series 1 Sampler sequencing. I finally bought it on vinyl a couple months ago since inexpensive still and vinyl is going up fast. It's a great best of for Drift, but always found the order odd, and discovered on the vinyl that if the sides are just played in a different sequence it flows great and is still simple to do. Just play side B, then A, then D, then C - a minor reorder, that's natural on vinyl.

This starts with the interesting opening to Listen to Their No, flows through a big groove heavy first half, but still varies and stays interesting through the middle, then has a chilled ending with Custard, Schiphol and BYTWB (which is another track that seems hard to play anything after).

For the album here, since the digital tracks mix together more and can be jarring unlike the vinyl, I opted for the full-length box set EP tracks instead, as there's plenty of time and good to get the full edits back. 70 minutes.

Along with The Necks album, this uses all the box set tracks, except for Moth, which doesn't seem to work anywhere. Your mileage will obviously vary, but after experiencing these so long as EPs and never being quite satisfied with their flow, I'm looking forward to enjoying them as full-length thematic albums (and still can't believe there is enough material for 6 full albums, plus RicksDubExperience).

Last edited by aphasein; 03-31-2023 at 09:58 PM.
Old 04-06-2023, 05:13 AM
twicezero
mouseman

Re: The Drift Album Experience
Thanks for sharing, I'm going to give this a go.
Old 04-06-2023, 05:16 PM
Vancouver
river

Thanks for sharing. Does anyone know if Manchester Street Poem is for sale digitally anywhere anymore? Can't seem to track it down.
Old 04-07-2023, 03:12 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver View Post
Thanks for sharing. Does anyone know if Manchester Street Poem is for sale digitally anywhere anymore? Can't seem to track it down.
Sorry, it's not currently available.
Old 04-07-2023, 06:52 PM
Vancouver
river

Damn. Thanks for the info.