Dirty Forums > moments.

Old 03-19-2016, 02:58 PM
froopy seal
amazinglytogetherpinniped

Send a message via ICQ to froopy seal
Re: 2016-03-17 Columbiahalle - Berlin, Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthportal View Post
I am super curious to see how "Faxed Invitation" sounds live. That's a really cool track.
More or less like the album version, if memory serves. Don't get me wrong, I like the song a lot as well. It's just that, as much as I hate to admit it, I have to agree with skyscraper:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper101 View Post
My main concern these days is not so much the setlist, but that they've been playing the tracks with very little to no variation from how they sound on the albums. One of the joys of watching them back in the day was how Rick used to play around with the samples, change the instrumentation, and fade in the b-line and synths at will.

These days it looks like a lot of pre-record going on, with only slight tinkering with delays and reverb on Rick's part. Darren seems to mainly be pressing play on the master laptop.
Old 03-20-2016, 01:38 AM
DaddyAdv
pants

From the tubes:

Rowla:

TMO:

Nuxx:
Old 03-20-2016, 02:22 AM
amhilde
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by froopy seal View Post
More or less like the album version, if memory serves. Don't get me wrong, I like the song a lot as well. It's just that, as much as I hate to admit it, I have to agree with skyscraper:

Yeah - and I think for me that's why the show felt like it went on a while. The idiot standing in front of me on the rail with probably the best view in the whole place didn't move once and checked his phone for the time every 10 minutes. Oh, and his email.

I know we can't go back in time, but watching/listening to some of those past shows, they really went further and there was the potential for errors on stage which - made it more real and accessible and alive. And its not just Underworld - technology has eliminated a lot of this aspect for a ton of bands, just with Darren hanging around onstage you can actually see the mouse click, it isn't hidden away in the back somewhere

I had a good time and it was worth coming out to Berlin (again) for this show and a little vacation. I didn't get to see Rick on stage with the dubno shows, so it was great to see him and Karl having so much fun up there. The intro DJ was excellent (Dave is it?) - the bf got real excited when some obscure One Dove song was dropped in (of course we have the vinyl, I was told), but it seemed like the crowd was ready to go at about 8.30.

Froopy, not sure where you were, but we had some folks barge in to the front (never cool). The show was good for the most part until about Cowgirl and then I was shoved pretty hard from behind, overreacted by throwing an elbow, turned around to tell someone off and this guy started screaming at me in German (which I don't understand and can't respond to). It was pretty ugly all around, but this lady intervened (who, I noticed, I had stood next to at the Berlin Festival show) and it was fine after that but pretty anticlimactic. I think for Roundhouse I will hang back a bit and go with the flow.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:45 AM
earthportal
arcticwillows

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyAdv View Post
From the tubes:

Rowla:

TMO:

Nuxx:
ahhhhhh I've only seen Underworld twice live and have never seen ROWLA live. That looks absolutely fantastic.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:49 AM
earthportal
arcticwillows

Quote:
Originally Posted by froopy seal View Post

It's always great when the guys change things up live, so I definitely hear what you are saying. However I'm excited to hear something like "Faxed Invitation" and the same slow buildup that it has on the album, but on a massive scale like you get at a show. I think that would be really cool to experience.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:27 PM
froopy seal
amazinglytogetherpinniped

Send a message via ICQ to froopy seal
Quote:
Originally Posted by amhilde View Post
Froopy, not sure where you were, but we had some folks barge in to the front (never cool). The show was good for the most part until about Cowgirl and then I was shoved pretty hard from behind, overreacted by throwing an elbow, turned around to tell someone off and this guy started screaming at me in German (which I don't understand and can't respond to). It was pretty ugly all around, but this lady intervened (who, I noticed, I had stood next to at the Berlin Festival show) and it was fine after that but pretty anticlimactic. I think for Roundhouse I will hang back a bit and go with the flow.
I wasn't up front. The middle, more or less. Perhaps five meters from the front, a little to the right. At the end, there were two drunk idiots. Apart from that, it was quite packed but amicable. I apologise if I sweated on too many bystanders.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:05 PM
Rioja
river

Re: Columbiahalle, Berlin, Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper101 View Post
My main concern these days is not so much the setlist, but that they've been playing the tracks with very little to no variation from how they sound on the albums. One of the joys of watching them back in the day was how Rick used to play around with the samples, change the instrumentation, and fade in the b-line and synths at will.
Indeed, indeed - I have to say "yes" to this. I mean, I am a die-hard UW fan (we all are, of course), but yeah I'm yearning to hear some serious improv! I loved it when, for example, different drums were played with Nuxx, Snake, etc. Also when songs began unusually like perhaps something just with the bass line or a single synth motif. Or, as Skyscraper notes, samples of Juanita's spoken word were peppered throughout a track's intro, outro, etc.

I forget which performance it is*, but there's this brilliant intro to Pearls where Juanita's laughter, shifted down in pitch, is played throughout. Such great, inspired stuff! And I know this isn't a radical departure, but I've always wanted to hear just the triangle from Moaner start the song, then maybe go into the short synth bit at the end...

(*Found it: was the legendary Blue Mountain performance from 1999. Mayan Theater in L.A. (forget which year) also had an incredible Pearls intro. But my all-time PG fave is probably the intro done at the I Love Techno fest. (Again, year? Seems I'm a bit daft when it comes to years.)

And don't get me wrong: I'm not saying I want to go back in time. I'm just saying I'd like to hear the individual tracks of each tune messed around with a bit in new ways, perhaps. Otherwise, the strips of paper labeled with the instrumentation for each song (for the purpose of being overlaid on the board) don't really need to be there.)

Last edited by Rioja; 04-08-2016 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:53 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rioja View Post
I forget which performance it is*, but there's this brilliant intro to Pearls where Juanita's laughter, shifted down in pitch, is played throughout.
Being a little pedantic here, but it's Petra on Pearl's Girl, not Juanita.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:21 PM
Rioja
river

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
Being a little pedantic here, but it's Petra on Pearl's Girl, not Juanita.
Nice -- no, I appreciate the correction, man. I love to be a part of a community that knows these things because I'm pretty obsessive* about the band myself.

Ok so that I know the difference, who is talking at the beginning of Bruce Lee? (Telling the story about the "shooter".) I've always thought that was Juanita, but now it sounds like it's Petra.

Actually, more importantly, who exactly are Juanita and Petra? I've always thought the former worked at Tomato and maybe the latter is Rick's wife?

Obviously, I'm confused about this, so would someone straighten me out? (Bang, please?)

(*Not saying this like it's a bad thing; I just mean we're pretty detail-oriented around here and I love that. Would not have it any other way.)

Last edited by Rioja; 04-08-2016 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:35 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

There's a lot of information about voices here:

https://www.borndirty.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17104

Juanita Boxhill and Clare Pugh were employees at Tomato. Both left now. Petra is a German art friend.