Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2006, 08:49 AM
big screen satellite
Still Number 1

Underworld & Advertising
I love the Moby Track that's used in the recent Nokia & Sky Movies Advert, (Called: In My Heart), and was wondering why Underworld hadn't;

a) been approached to use their music in adverts

or

b) declined companies using their music in adverts

I know Tomato did several musical pieces for Adverts in the 1990's, most of which i think were shown in Cinemas (Levis, Orange, etc.), but those pieces were written specifically for the Ads. What i'm interested in is tracks recorded for general release and being used in Ads...

I know Moby has been totally abused by the marketing industry, what with the whole of his 'Play' album being ripped for Advertising, i just wondered why Underworld's hadn't. After all, music researchers tend to use Underworld's music in a lot of TV shows and particularly sports monatages, is it a concious thing, or the fact that their music wouldn't be suitable for any ads....??
Old 01-23-2006, 09:17 AM
//\/\/
slogging it out

Re: Underworld & Advertising
i'm sure i've got bad memories of them doing a daily telegraph ad in the 90's sometime around stiti...
Old 01-23-2006, 09:38 AM
Dirty Canuck
American Style..Haunts Me

You may not hear UW on the T.V., but I do know that NUXX is played before each Toronto Maple Leaf hockey game, when they play at home.
Also, a friend told me that another hockey team, the Vancouver Canucks, has come onto the ice to Cups.
I can understand why Underworld music is liscensed for sporting events, because of the energy in the music. Maybe not so perfect for TV ads.
I couldn't really imagine someone pitching a Subaru with K.O.S. in the background, IMO.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:43 AM
votingfloater
waukrife

Dark and Long was on a BBC advert. The one with Jensen Button in it. I can't remember what it was advertising.

Wait...

... it was for BBCi.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:06 AM
King of Snake
smoking on the airplane

Tomato have done a few adverts with Underworld tracks in them. There was one "safe driving" ad on their site that had cowgirl in it.
I hear UW in tv programmes from time to time, most recently some live version of dirty guitar even.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:47 AM
Dirty0900
Only £50 a show,book now.

I would say UW have been used in advertising a fair bit, some hardcore people might see it as selling out but they gotta get there name out somewhere. There used in the FA Cup a fair bit like.

I remember that Observer advert to.......
Old 01-24-2006, 07:41 AM
gaborez
everythingeverythingevery

tomato/underworld did a tv ad for a laydeez product (the kind of product that's used every 4 weeks) called lillettes (sp?). it was a good ad (it didnt feature roller scating women and dr alban for a start ) - v chilled sounds and fade in/out text a bit like the oich oich vid.

i'm sure RS did the music.

i guess they dont need the money anymore!? btw, wot are tomato up to these days?
Old 01-24-2006, 08:59 AM
big screen satellite
Still Number 1

i was mainly interested in why no-one used UW's actual catalouge for adverts...especially as most music in adverts comes from dance oriented bands...

i know they did make some music specifically for ads like Lilets, but why hasn't anyone delved into the Underworld back cat for some music, is there some kind of rule in place, or hasn't it been noticed by marketeers?

i know the BBC are up on UW's music, and use it quite a bit, and so do sky, but in actual product advertising, there's not been much, if any using existing Underworld tracks....
Old 01-24-2006, 09:20 AM
gaborez
everythingeverythingevery

Quote:
Originally Posted by big screen satellite
i was mainly interested in why no-one used UW's actual catalouge for adverts....
sorry matt i missed your main point didnt i. must learn to read.

i've wondered if most music used in ads is unsigned (or v un-noticed) and artists approach advertising people with it? the music is prob cheap to sign. then the artist gets a profile and makes some money in sales cos of the ad. lots of bands seem to "appear" after ads.

maybe advertising folk are too cool to look at underworld - maybe they're too commercial!
Old 01-26-2006, 08:07 AM
noisegeek
Sweet in Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty0900
some hardcore people might see it as selling out
I think Iggy Pop had the best response to this sort of accusation. He said, "F**K you! I'm finally making money off this s**t."

btw, I know you weren't saying they were sell-outs, I was just reminded of the quote.