Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > technique.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:18 AM
Eikman
a life less extraordinary

FIFA World Cup 2010
i suppose it's time to start a thread about this one.

germany has a bit of bad luck these days...five players out in the past few weeks due to injury including Ballack and one of our full-backs. add this to some rather irritating choices on behalf of our beloved coach (Podolski, one of our strikers has scored only two goals this season for his club. two!!). not sure what to think of this squad...for the first time in ages i am actually sceptical about their performance.

i consider spain (obviously), argentina (despite their poor qualifying matches) and - gasp! - england to rank among the favorites, although i'd love to see some underdog at least in the Semis. what about you?

Last edited by Eikman; 06-02-2010 at 04:45 AM.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:04 AM
Jason Roth
The Vice President

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010
I'll be in Johannesburg for the round of 16 and quarterfinals.

GO USA!!!
Old 06-02-2010, 06:43 AM
Eikman

i'd rather see the Socceroos advance to the round of 16 than the US boys to be honest

Old 06-02-2010, 06:54 AM
stimpee
Administrator

I would like the see the USA!USA!USA! go through (in second place naturally). The sheilaroos dont have a chance.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:12 AM
Eikman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpee View Post
The sheilaroos dont have a chance.
probably not, but they played a fantastic WC in 2006, before the italian ponces robbed them with a (probably undeserved) penalty in overtime. AND they beat denmark the other day. but of course in order to advance, australia has to compete with Germany, so all they can hope for is second place in the group stage anyway

Old 06-02-2010, 02:35 PM
//\/\/
slogging it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eikman View Post
(Podolski, one of our strikers has scored only two goals this season for his club. two!!)
we can beat that - heskey has only had 8 shots on target all season*

*and they didn't all go in.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:45 PM
Dunwho
Big Time

Well i dont want to start about why Ireland SHOULD be at this world cup...

... i got Greece and Ivory Coast in the sweep stakes im in so im gonna support them!
Old 06-03-2010, 04:42 AM
stimpee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunwho View Post

... i got Greece and Ivory Coast in the sweep stakes im in so im gonna support them!
shite, shite and shite. You'll be hoping for a first round exit for France then?

Ivory Coast have got Sven so lets see if that helps... Greece? hmmm. dont see the point in the sweep stake for a world cup. Theres only a few teams capable of winning, so unless you get any of the 3 or 4 probable winners its a waste of cash.

Ian: I too am shaking my head at the inclusion of Heskey... again. They do say he's a link-up player not a goalscorer. But isnt that what midfielders are for?
Old 06-03-2010, 04:28 PM
Dunwho
Big Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpee View Post
Ivory Coast have got Sven so lets see if that helps... Greece? hmmm. dont see the point in the sweep stake for a world cup. Theres only a few teams capable of winning, so unless you get any of the 3 or 4 probable winners its a waste of cash.
Well we are doing it by points... 3 for a win, 1 for a draw... that way all of your teams can make you points and whoever has most at the end gets the most cash... after that the actual team that wins the cup gets only 20e... (tho they may also win on points too)

Whoever gets Brazil gets the lowest seeded team... 2nd highest gets second lowest and so on... so to get two middle of the road teams could get you lots of points ... theoretically
Old 06-04-2010, 12:27 AM
matt
old man einstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunwho View Post

Ok, don't then. I mean, get over it.

Stuff like that happens in football but the Irish over-reaction to the incident wound me up a little. I mean, even if Henry's goal had been disallowed the scores would have been level and there may have been extra time and even penalties yet most of Ireland seem to think they automatically would have won or something. I've got some very good Irish mates who were extremely embarrassed by the whole thing (the reaction not the incident).

As for the World Cup I'll be supporting England even though I'm Welsh. Like to see any of the British sides do well (even the Republic if they were there). Apart from Portugal Brazil nothing really jumps out at me from the group stages in terms of must see matches (and Portugal aren't the side they were a few years ago). However once we get to the knockout stages it look like there could be some really tasty match-ups.

And as in nearly every major tournament I'm sure there'll be a few surprise underdog teams that everyone falls in love with.