Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > technique.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:20 AM
//\/\/
slogging it out

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010
heskey's going to score and absolute screamer.

in his own goal.

in injury time.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:32 AM
//\/\/
slogging it out

brasil - portugal - ref's just booked tiago for diving in the box - excellent work!
Old 06-25-2010, 08:22 AM
Jason Roth
The Vice President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunwho View Post
I love how "the world" is USA and Lyon France... but it looks like you enjoyed it
South Africa was in there too
Old 06-25-2010, 11:46 AM
Dunwho
Big Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpee View Post
personally i think England will lose. we always do. a lucky deflection, a dodgy penalty.
You may BLAME it on a lucky deflection or a dodgy penalty but at the end of the day England are a team that couldnt beat the USA or even Algeria and were scrambling to protect a one nil win against Slovenia... i really think you should be hoping for Germany to lose from a lucky deflection or a dodgy penalty otherwise they are going to run rings around you.

But saying that they are having a bit of a wobly at the moment... but still they look far superior to a bunch of English "Stars" who dont seem to shine so brightly without all of their far superior international clubmates who make them look better than they really are on a weekly basis.

Wow bit harsh there but i was in a flow...
Old 06-25-2010, 12:08 PM
cured
sikk

La Furia are looking good today. Weird that the Chilean goalkeeper strayed so far away from home, though.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:44 PM
//\/\/
slogging it out

bit carried away indeed, dunwho... you forget england's capacity for lowering their game, as well as the ability to raise it. and you overlook that this 'good-looking' german team lost to serbia and didn't pull up trees the other night either.

england could be building a tournament momentum, stumbling upon a way to work the team...

(there, that's me in the optimism flow )
Old 06-26-2010, 12:23 PM
cured
sikk

Ricardo Clark sure was a disaster in that first half. And we're in familiar position...playing from behind :/
Old 06-26-2010, 02:03 PM
cured
sikk

Aaaaaaand we're out. Ghana earned this as opposed to 2006. USA had their chances but if you can't put em away you deserve to lose.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:38 PM
cured
sikk

Well, time for something semi-long winded by a yank...

We don't have world class strikers (and Jozy played horribly today). There is a sea change in how excited people are around here, though. It's a national pride thing that I'm excited to see happening. It's a funny thing that the US was expected to win this game, quite the change from 1994 (when I first started watching the World Cup) when we were just shit all around and miraculously made the second round.

We're going to get better from here. A lot of our key guys are young and will be there in Brazil for 2014 (I know I'll be there for sure). The MLS is getting better as a league and our 20 and under teams are competitive in worldwide tournaments.

It's a disappointment to be out but we didn't deserve the win today, not the way we had those first or last touches going in for a chance. But we aren't the weaklings we used to be. Spain knows we don't suck. Our expectations for the team are getting bigger and that's drawing more Americans into the game.

I absolutely love the World Cup play. Draws may not bring in many casual fans but even American footballers will say they enjoy the "game within the game" and that's where the real meat of this sport is. What's been wonderful is to see so many friends cursing and celebrating as the game progresses...it's important to them. We aren't going to be on the level of the top European teams for another Cup or two but our level of improvement from 1994 or even 1998 has been amazing. We're helped out by the fact that our players are starting to get invited to Europe more and our MLS season starts in the summer, so our national team players are fresh without the injuries of a long season and can better build team chemistry.

I've noticed a lot of teams have risen to bridge the gap between the world powers and the average nobodies (New Zealand's Paston has been the best keeper in the tournament thus far, IMO).

As far as the US team, you can only play like shit in the first 15 minutes of a game and go behind early so often enough before it bites you in the ass. Tonight our asses got bit by a very good Ghana team. But I like how, even when teams play with a defensive mentality in the second half with their leads against us, we can still create chances that get our hearts pumping.

We aren't going to be La Furia or the Azzurri or anything but we can be us and we aren't too shabby at this game, perhaps you guys can agree.

Can't wait to wake up tomorrow at 7am and see England and Germany go at it!
Old 06-26-2010, 03:30 PM
//\/\/
slogging it out

well said, cured - and a good world cup from the usa - honest performances in every game and thoroughly deserved progress to the 2nd round. the more your players are exposed to world football, the better they'll become. it'll take time before the mls becomes more than a first step, but hopefully this success will help the sport take a firmer root. but to have a team of triers is what all football fans want, and you certainly have that.

here's hoping you don't get too good