Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2007, 10:07 AM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Re: crocodire....
hey at least it gets people on both spectrums again. TMO had people either saying it was amazing, but the non-plussed simply didn't care and just dropped it. when a group who's fallen totally off radar makes a bad album people just ignore it. if anything i'd welcome it if this album brought a truckload of haters along with the ardent supporters, it means they're off-base enough to agitate something.

with that said i thought this was going to be about the japanese single due to the "l gets replaceed by r" joke.

i still really like this song, there a characteristic abundance of detail and that bass snarl is to die for. not a wild fan of the huge echo in the vocals but stuff like that just becomes part of the song after awhile
Old 09-03-2007, 10:31 AM
Leon
bungalow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubman
hey at least it gets people on both spectrums again. TMO had people either saying it was amazing, but the non-plussed simply didn't care and just dropped it. when a group who's fallen totally off radar makes a bad album people just ignore it. if anything i'd welcome it if this album brought a truckload of haters along with the ardent supporters, it means they're off-base enough to agitate something.

with that said i thought this was going to be about the japanese single due to the "l gets replaceed by r" joke.

i still really like this song, there a characteristic abundance of detail and that bass snarl is to die for. not a wild fan of the huge echo in the vocals but stuff like that just becomes part of the song after awhile
I completely agree.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:58 AM
froopy seal
amazinglytogetherpinniped

Send a message via ICQ to froopy seal
Welcome arp!

Of course, "even here" people must be entitled to negative opinions about UW material. I, personally, cannot yet connect to Phonestrap, so I'm ok with arp stating he/she doesn't like Crocodile.

Nonetheless, I have an issue with the following:
Quote:
Originally Posted by arp2600
maybe the records/files are not so important to them anymore anyway-the live experience is the way forward for them imo
Regarding the time (five years) and the effort (tens (hundreds?) of tracks, sound bits and remixes) the band put into Oblivion With Bells, I can't see how you come to the conclusion that they don't care about records anymore. On the contrary, from the diary on underworldlive.com I always get the impression that Rick and Karl care very much about the stuff they release, what with all the info on the writing/mastering process, visuals/cover art, interviews, meetings with friends etc.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:52 PM
King of Snake
smoking on the airplane

well said. Without records, there would be nothing to play at liveshows either
Old 09-03-2007, 01:05 PM
jose m
pants

"dont be so anal"........... jog on sanakan you pussie,just expressing an opinion la.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:49 AM
big screen satellite
Still Number 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose m
"dont be so anal"........... jog on sanakan you pussie,just expressing an opinion la.
'jog on' - LOL

not heard that for a while...

that made me chuckle the most on return from my holiday...

ho hum,

i didn't like Croc that much on first listen, but its not dire in any way, perhaps people expect things from Underworld and well when the deliver something utterly different some people don't like it... its almost like a proper 'song' as opposed to a track with vocals on

its ok to have the opinions i suppose, but i kinda agree that as a first post to a forum its a bit harsh to come in and criticize the band, by slating their single - even if you have been a fan for years

there is also a thread for this single and any valued comments on it could (and should) really have been posted there, whether negative or not...
Old 09-04-2007, 10:35 AM
Leon
bungalow

I'm in love (and happily maried) with the live version at the Frankfurt gig (All These Things). I still have to get used to the studio version because it has less energy and different lyrics. The AMAZING tones Karl sings near the end though, make me melt.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:40 AM
Jan
vision

I still like the Cocoom version becuase it's longer and has those different pads and has different lyrics...
uw#0523
Old 09-04-2007, 11:10 AM
gillenium

Both versions (All These Things and Crocodile) have their strengths and weaknesses. But all things withstanding, I think the boys made the right choice with their final version. As much as I like the ambient feel of All These Things, I don't think the little 3/4 timed ambient pad would've sustained the album version. Sounds good live, but... album is different. And also, I've finally come to terms with the amount of reverb put on Karl's voice, because his voice fills in for that pad. It becomes the spine of the melody.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:51 PM
testudo
JunkiesCriminalsFugitives

Location: The international territory and the mighty infamous
something happening tomorrow:

http://trafficjpn.com/underworld/news.html