Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2012, 09:38 AM
vacant
pretty

Re: Has anyone here met Karl or Rick in person?
I met them both (and Darren) at the BBC studios during a couple years ago, they were both very talkative and welcoming and posed for pictures as well as signing my Barking box set.
I also bumped into the pair of them (and John Digweed) at SW4 last year, and they were again both happy to answer my slightly drunken questions (somewhat vaguely in Karl's case) and pose for pictures.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:46 PM
darktrain
powered by robuts

A handful of dirtylisters met Rick and Karl after the Chicago 99 show. Someone presented them with a "beaucoup" fish trophy and Rick said I was "mad" for being out in the cold with no jacket. Darren Emerson popped into their cab immediately rather than chat with us. Got my copy of BF signed, but no pics
Old 07-24-2012, 09:08 PM
cdave2
dancin' fool

I remember that! The trophy was from Nickole of the dirtylist, who had given Karl a snowglobe of Chicago to welcome them to their first gig here in 1998. Someone who met UW early on the 1999 tour joked that she had a bowling trophy ready for them the next time around. She decided that the fishing version was more appropriate.

I didn't say much to either Rick or Karl, except to thank Karl for his comment about Manchester. (He had observed during the show that "Chicago is like Manchester...and if you know Manchester, you know what I'm talking about," which as both a proud resident of my adopted city and a huge Factory/New Order fan, I considered a great compliment to both cities.) Very friendly guys, both of 'em. All smiles.

Has anyone been in touch with Nickole? I used to bump into her at various shows, but haven't seen her in years. Wonder how she's doing?
Old 07-26-2012, 04:31 PM
ultradave
the doorway boy...

Met both Rick and Karl pre-show in San Diego 2010 when they played 4th & B. Amazing show. I was having a slice of pizza with a friend of mine just gazing out the window and see these 2 walk by (with a young girl - a daughter perhaps?). I didn't even say a word to my friend. I just ran outside and crossed the street to say Hi. Unfortunately my nerves got the best of me and all I could say was it's nice to meet you, looking forward to the show and I was able to shake both of their hands. The light turned green and they crossed over to the venue...

I kick myself for not asking for a picture... but atleast I have the memory.

Last edited by ultradave; 07-26-2012 at 04:32 PM. Reason: don't call me daughter.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:25 PM
dubnobasswithme
koob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdave2 View Post
I remember that! The trophy was from Nickole of the dirtylist, who had given Karl a snowglobe of Chicago to welcome them to their first gig here in 1998. Someone who met UW early on the 1999 tour joked that she had a bowling trophy ready for them the next time around. She decided that the fishing version was more appropriate.

I didn't say much to either Rick or Karl, except to thank Karl for his comment about Manchester. (He had observed during the show that "Chicago is like Manchester...and if you know Manchester, you know what I'm talking about," which as both a proud resident of my adopted city and a huge Factory/New Order fan, I considered a great compliment to both cities.) Very friendly guys, both of 'em. All smiles.

Has anyone been in touch with Nickole? I used to bump into her at various shows, but haven't seen her in years. Wonder how she's doing?
Memories from my first (and best) Underworld concert : ) I was at that Dirtmeet and got to see the trophy before it was handed off. Sadly, I didn't wait around long enough after the show was over to meet Karl or Rick.

I never saw much from Nickole once the dirtylist went on permanent hiatus.

uw0006
Old 07-27-2012, 09:33 AM
txjaxx
mouseman

I met Karl backstage at the first Coachella in '99. I met Darren in Denver once. Both were really nice guys.