Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2007, 04:12 PM
koisk

Re: xlr8r
xlr8r for the year end 'best of' bascially asks a bunch of people for opinions and prints them. That's why they gave it a 10 and it was also named worst of the year.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:50 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman

aw, c'mon, no one else found it funny? fine.
It is funny. First, a name like xlr8r...very clever! Then, such insightful reviews! And by people who can't hold a candle to UW's talent! Just goes to show you, on the internet these days, everyone's opinion gets published. Some are even taken seriously!
Old 12-18-2007, 10:40 PM
idoru
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden
Then, such insightful reviews! And by people who can't hold a candle to UW's talent!
Just because people aren't as talented as someone doesn't mean they can't form an opinion and express it however they wish. It's as if you're saying we can't say anything about the UW tracks we may not like, simply because we're not as "talented" as the boys.
________
Mercedes-Benz T80 Specifications

Last edited by idoru; 03-09-2011 at 07:54 AM.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:14 AM
jose m
pants

i don't think i made myself clear 'fuck off you knob' was directed at kos.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:29 AM
King of Snake
smoking on the airplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose m
i don't think i made myself clear 'fuck off you knob' was directed at kos.

Quote:
aw, c'mon, no one else found it funny? fine.
just seemed to me we had already discussed the merits of OWB and all the reviews to death so I couldn't quite see why anyone would still care about some random one-sentence "review" by some random person on some random website, however positive or negative it was.

I was just like "yeah whatever..."
Old 12-19-2007, 02:28 AM
tinyman
mouseman

^ yeh, i was a bit worried you may have seen it all before. i hadn't been around here much, and i was too lazy to search. plus i remember a few dirts talking up xlr8r as a quality music rag in the past, including dirty founder scott, so thought that may make it extra interesting.

if this had already been talked to death and my redundant postings made your day worse in any way, i sincerely apologize unreservedly.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:17 AM
big screen satellite
Still Number 1

the problem with this 'worst of list' is that its made up of several opinions, and is not just say 'the dirty crews' entire list, whoever they are...

there is no way that if an online magazine reviews an album and then gives it 10/10, can then submit it as 'the worst album of the year' unless its come from the same source... its just one quote taken at random

basically you might as well look at any quote on the internet... and cobble some poll together...

if this was truly a best and worst of list it would be a poll, rather than just one persons opinion...

then again the 10/10 review is also just one persons opinion...

eiither way, UW's album is nowhere near the worst album of the year... and proves the dirty crew have actually no idea of what's going on in modern music making these days... oh well

when the dirty crew sell out tours in europe and the world and have sold as many records and cds and commanded as much respect as Underworld have over the past 15 years then perhaps they can be taken more seriously... n00bs
Old 12-19-2007, 06:25 AM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Quote:
Originally Posted by big screen satellite

when the dirty crew sell out tours in europe and the world and have sold as many records and cds and commanded as much respect as Underworld have over the past 15 years then perhaps they can be taken more seriously... n00bs
re: Idoru... what BSS says above (more eloquently) is basically what i meant by my comment above. And note i said, anyone's opinion gets heard on the internt. i just choose not to give any weight to this website's one-line, useless review.

I'm with KOS on this...why are we even discussing this "review" or top/bottom 10 list? It's like, "hey, the guy down the hall thinks UW sucks, but my sister-in-law thinks they rock. Discuss!"
Old 12-19-2007, 07:07 AM
kid cue
ryooong

it's amazing the extent to which some people will rationalize their own knee-jerk reactions. making fun of XLR8R's name? hello this is (well, was) rave culture. and you've seen Underworld song titles, right?

each entry on this best/worst-of list is supposed to be a review? did i miss something?

and i echo what idoru said about the 'talent' comment.

IMjustanotherinternetO these artist best/worst-of lists are a better reflection of what someone likes and dislikes than any "consensus" poll. they're a better read as well. i don't know who the Dirty Crew are, but at least i was convinced by them. that line made me laugh, even though i didn't agree with it. it IS possible to be an Underworld fan without every random diss getting your panties in a bunch (i used to think...).

Last edited by kid cue; 12-19-2007 at 07:09 AM.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:35 AM
Scott Warner
delicious candy taster

Send a message via AIM to Scott Warner
I still believe xlr8r to be a high quality mag. i mean, it's a testimony to its quality that it continues to be published when we're well beyond the 90's rave culture in which the mag flourished, and so much of what many of us loved about dance music and dance music culture has been commoditized into soulless, adventureless crap.

Someone there doesn't like the record. A lot of people do and don't. Some express their displeasure in polarizing ways. It's human and o.k.