Dirty Forums > headset.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2010, 04:19 PM
Dunwho
Big Time

Re: Good Day Today
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Roth View Post
and the forums are officially back in business!
Old 05-17-2010, 04:33 PM
cacophony
disquietude

i'm trying, guys. i'm really trying. i still can't say i like it but it's growing on me. slowly.

the refrain is stuck in my head right now, so that's something. still hate the gunshot noises, though.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:46 PM
Steven Beck
Underneath a Radar.

You shouldn't try to like something for the sake of liking it. Watch;

This song is horrible.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:00 PM
frazh
river

I kind of like this one...basic programming structure that does not really evolve into much, but is still very enjoyable. Hoping the gunshots are not really a part of the track...maybe thrown into the promo as a way of distinguishing it from the official release?

Certainly better than the High Contrast collab. HC destroyed my love for YDS.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:10 PM
cacophony
disquietude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Beck View Post

This song is horrible.
it's not just for the sake of liking it. i've got no problem deciding it doesn't appeal to me if it never clicks. but i do try to get my head around new songs and see if a bit of repetition makes them more appealing.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:00 PM
the mongoose
talks to God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherLovesDub View Post
the gunshots and sound effects appear at 2:00 - 2:11 and don't appear again. the song is appx 4.5mins meaning the gunshots appear midway through the track. I've transcribed the lyrics on page 1 of this thread and if you look at those, you'll see where they appear and that they don't reappear. Listen to the production and effects of those noises. They've got reverb and they sit perfectly in the mix. This is not added by KCRW and are indeed intentional. Why all the confusion?
this.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:34 PM
unwound floors
power before passion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacophony View Post
it's not just for the sake of liking it. i've got no problem deciding it doesn't appeal to me if it never clicks. but i do try to get my head around new songs and see if a bit of repetition makes them more appealing.
I've done this often, too - tracks like Holding the Moth and Faxed Invitation I loathed on first listen, but given a bit of time, repeat listens, and the context of the rest of the album, suddenly they made a lot more sense and I began to really enjoy them.

Don't know whether this'll happen for me and Good Day Today, though - lyrically, it's one of Underworld's weakest efforts; musically, it's bland and those vocoded vocals sound really, really off. I'm going to give it a few more listens, but my hopes are low. I'm really hoping the rest of the album has more of a 'Scribble' feel, as opposed to carrying the feel and themes of 'Good Day Today' across it...
Old 05-17-2010, 08:57 PM
starfox203
mouseman

The gun shots work perfectly in context of the lyrics and mood of the song. They're supposed to be jarring. He's sick and tired of all the violence, and smoke and fire. It's great. I couldn't stop listening over and over today.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:57 PM
bryantm3
It's Written In The Book!

good day today seems to me to be a crossover between the numb slow tracks on OWB (the entire album minus crocodile and BB) and 8 ball. i hope the new album doesn't suck like the last one did. i mean, i love UW. and i love the stuff they were playing live right before the album was released. but when it came out, it was such a downer. i mean, the majority of the album has this radiohead-style electronic depression that is just awful. it's not the same as the active sadness as seen on tracks like 'dirty epic', they just seem to have this 'i've given up on life' feel to them. does anyone agree? i'm specifically talking about 'glam bucket', 'faxed invitation', 'cuddle bunny', 'holding the moth' and 'boy boy boy'.

Last edited by bryantm3; 05-17-2010 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:57 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Beck View Post

This song is horrible.
lol