Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:42 AM
reactorstudios
Ken

Re: VOTE DIRTY: Dirty Beatport Remix Submissions: voting period is 2nd-16th November
Thanks professor.
It's hard to mangle a vocal that is so fine in it's original form. I kept the processing really simple, so I am glad to hear that it stood out for you.

Ken.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:56 AM
Professor
this is bat country

Send a message via AIM to Professor
Re: VOTE DIRTY: Dirty Beatport Remix Submissions: voting period is 2nd-16th November
Yup peeps, today is the voting day.... if you've already got an account, it's easy, just hit "spin" ....

http://www.beatportal.com/remix/deta...-watson-remix/
Old 11-03-2010, 08:05 AM
undarrenworld
bungalow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor View Post
Yup peeps, today is the voting day.... if you've already got an account, it's easy, just hit "spin" ....

http://www.beatportal.com/remix/deta...-watson-remix/
Your awesome remix got my vote
So "the spin" works that you can spin more tracks, so I would spin other dirty remixes as well...

Last edited by undarrenworld; 11-03-2010 at 08:16 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:51 AM
froopy seal
amazinglytogetherpinniped

Send a message via ICQ to froopy seal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lx_Nen View Post
It's not as bad as it looks, the ones that get judged are the top 10 most spins after 2 weeks, plus 10 picked by the staff. I think Beatport know they have a problem with 'ballot-stuffing' (actually, it's bleedin' obvious when someone has 41 spins but the track has only been played 27 times!), which is why the 3 big prizes are not awarded on number of spins, there's just a small $50 prize for that.

If you look through the other contests that have closed, they nearly always say that the top prize winner wasn't the one with the most spins, so I think we just have to aim for the front page, where we stand a decent chance of spicking up votes from in dependent people, and of being picked by the editorial team on quality... because having heard about 50 or 60 so far, I can say that the Dirty mixes do stand out on quality!
So much for the wisdom of the crowd...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lx_Nen View Post
Don't forget you can vote for ALL the dirty mixes( if you like them) you don't have to pick just one ;-)
Did comply and registered purely in order to vote for all the dirty mixes. Keeping my fingers crossed for some of you to get picked by the jury.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:30 AM
unwound floors
power before passion.

Do a tiny Australian girl and newbie to the wonderful world of music production a favour? Spin her remix of Bird 1 so she can have the pleasure of saying Karl Hyde and Rick Smith listened to her remix and thought it was rad?

http://www.beatportal.com/remix/deta...toimmunity-mix

Love x
Old 11-03-2010, 10:48 AM
timsk
meet the uncles of wise

and unwound floors spun too

Last edited by timsk; 11-03-2010 at 10:52 AM.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:08 AM
undarrenworld
bungalow

Quote:
Originally Posted by unwound floors View Post
Do a tiny Australian girl and newbie to the wonderful world of music production a favour? Spin her remix of Bird 1 so she can have the pleasure of saying Karl Hyde and Rick Smith listened to her remix and thought it was rad?

http://www.beatportal.com/remix/deta...toimmunity-mix

Love x
Your remix is great, I would like to have mp3 for listening
Spin.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:25 PM
reactorstudios
Ken

I submitted a mix hoping for some feedback, and I figured I shouldn't expect any without being prepared to offer a little. After a few days away from the song entirely, here is my collected feedback on the dirty mixes. I tried to offer the good with a little (nit-picky) criticism, as I'd hope to receive in return. I am certainly not a pro, so take my opinions for what you will.
Thanks to everyone that submitted. My own skill set is improving just listening to all the other works. Thanks for the ideas and continued inspiration.

Buji
Synthpop. Killer. This needs Andy Bell or Neil Tennant dropping some oohs and ahhs in the background. Damn that was fun.
I might have dried up the vocal just a bit to give it some pop. ...but I'll just shut up and dance.

LX nen
The opening pad feels like it is gonna lead us into Madonna's Rain (!).........yeah, guilty pleasure.
I love the very UW-ish groove throughout the song. Very, very beautiful take on the track. I can hear the vocal EFX track low in the mix, and I'd love to hear that brought forward more with the main verse vocal dropped entirely. The refrain vocal locks beautifully into your groove, but the verses don't sit quite as well for me. It's tough to remove the drive from the original vocal phrasing, and your mix is too wonderfully chilled-out for those advancing verses. Your treatment of the OSCar lead is fantastic. Brilliant transformation of the track.

Marshall Watson
Another nice job of sneaking the OSCar in the mix without it smacking us in the face. I love the FM that invades the otherwise smooth and round bassline in the track's breakdown. Great to hear all seven stems in the mix, manipulated into a completely different groove. This track just works. Blown away.

In The Black Box
That main gritty synth reminds me of a Gearwhore track or two. Nice use of the robotic vocal as a lead-in to this section.
I could move to this in a very dark club in the deep, dead of night. This a "louder is better" track. The arrangement offers a few nice surprises; I guessed wrong on the direction of this one a few times as it played out. This stays true to all that I love about Dave's radio show. Well done sir.

Autoimmunity
Oooh. I like that flamming cymbal at the intro, and the really hollow kick. I don't love the spoken word bit because it doesn't sit in the mix quite right, but I like where it is in the arrangement. The glassy bell tones really make this a wonderfully eerie track.

JoeBellingham
I am digging the mellow vibe. I think you landed right in the early-underworld groove you were aiming for. I am missing that one extra layer that makes me want to hang around for the entire track, though. I feel a bit like I've taken it all in at the halfway point. Of course, If I were just chillin' on the couch with the lights down low, I'd gladly groove on this for a half hour. I guess it just depends on the mood.

Blue Smoke
You've tracked some great parts here, particularly that mildly squelchy bass line, and the chord changes suprised me (wonderfully) in places. I am a little lost in the mix on this one, though. The vocal seems too low and distant, and at times the bass, pad, and accent synths begin to compete for the same space. The bass could stand to go down a dB or two, and I think an alternate mix where only one component is truly in focus at any given time would really firm up what is a great track.
I struggled mightily with mixing my own track, since I had never done so before. I read in a manual somewhere that always having a single element in focus, and only one element in focus, is key to a great mix. I am simplifying a bit, but it really helped me to understand where to pull things up, and push them back throughout a mix, to keep it interesting. Of course, I have no idea whether or not I was succesful...

Invasion
This one feels so familiar. Whoever put this together just gets me

Soccermomsfix
I wasn't aware there was a class of music geared towards soccer moms
I love the classic surging bass tone. There are a lot of great sounds playing here, but there's no real focus and somethings not gelling for me. Everything seems to be happening all at the same time. Maybe a little ebb and flow... I feel like you could take the vocal out altogether and it would be a step above.

Defrost
I love the ominous, cinematic build. I wish the vocal sat a little more in the mix, rather than on it, in the early parts. Almost an Aphex Twin sort of vibe to pieces of this one. Then it goes NIN in the middle. I didn't think this song could be made creepy. I am impressed.

Phaseblue
I like the isolated "time" sample in the intro. The drums, particularly the "laser" percussion are beautifully programmed and show great restraint. The pad that hits about 2/3 of the way in feels like the payoff that the track builds to, but I am left wanting a bit more from it.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:42 PM
Dunwho
Big Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by reactorstudios View Post
In The Black Box
That main gritty synth reminds me of a Gearwhore track or two. Nice use of the robotic vocal as a lead-in to this section.
I could move to this in a very dark club in the deep, dead of night. This a "louder is better" track. The arrangement offers a few nice surprises; I guessed wrong on the direction of this one a few times as it played out. This stays true to all that I love about Dave's radio show. Well done sir.
http://www.beatportal.com/remix/deta...ack-box-remix/

Thanks for the feedback man appreciate the kind words on the remix and the show!

As I have said already your mix shows a real capacity at production - great sound quality and some really inventive ideas add up to a great remix!!!

Like I said ... you should do more stuff like this!!

Mine...holding on in there.. but LX Nen has deservedly hit the 50 spin mark for his remix.. fingers crossed he makes the cut!!
http://www.beatportal.com/remix/deta...ack-box-remix/
Old 11-02-2010, 08:56 AM
europium
river

Hi there, I'm a newbie here but not a new Underworld fan (got a tour T from 99 to prove it). My remix of Bird_1 is at the beatportal site.
http://www.beatportal.com/remix/deta...cermomsfixmix/
Have a listen and any feedback is welcome. Click Spin it and give us a vote.
I'm off to listen to the others.

europium (...an old man Einstien crazy in his attic)