Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-14-2016, 05:15 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

Re: Underworld... live?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
They come to see a solid performance with all the hits.
Well I'd agree with you here if the new live experience leaned more towards spectacle. But it doesn't. This recent tour is by far the least visual Underworld have ever been. Had their new setup allowed for a more rigid, yet well-designed show I would understand the decision. A decision to tighten up the show and make it more of a pre-designed experience isn't a bad one. Its just that they forgot a huge piece of that.

Quote:
The new way works for them, and I am glad to say I have enjoyed seeing them in 2014, 2015 and 2016 - they sound better than ever and I am satisfied.
This is the part I can't come to grips with yet. Am I satisfied? There's nothing overly satisfying about hearing Juanita played note-for-note with only a few lights tracking around the stage. As someone who, living in the states only gets to see Underworld every 4 years or so its quite possible that I'm anticipating more. So in one way I am satisfied that I got to see my favorite band in person again. And I am over-the-moon with how King of Snake, Rowla, and a few others were turned into a fantastic experience. But I used to feel that way after EVERY track. I also can't decide if I agree that they sound better than ever. The sound quality was pretty high, but who wants to hear an album track played verbatim? 5 new album tracks, 5 identical-to-album renditions.

So yes, you may be satisfied. But are you excited by it?

Quote:
Underworld recognise that people who come to see them don't pay good money to see a band fuck around on stage anymore.
I assume you are speaking of non-superfans. I was with a crew of non-super fans and they weren't blown away by any stretch - at times yes of course. A few of my friends have seen them before and made comparisons. A few others had never seen them live.

Last edited by potatobroth; 06-14-2016 at 05:26 AM.