Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-18-2010, 12:28 AM
unwound floors
power before passion.

Re: Good Day Today
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
good day today seems to me to be a crossover between the numb slow tracks on OWB (the entire album minus crocodile and BB) and 8 ball. i hope the new album doesn't suck like the last one did. i mean, i love UW. and i love the stuff they were playing live right before the album was released. but when it came out, it was such a downer. i mean, the majority of the album has this radiohead-style electronic depression that is just awful. it's not the same as the active sadness as seen on tracks like 'dirty epic', they just seem to have this 'i've given up on life' feel to them. does anyone agree? i'm specifically talking about 'glam bucket', 'faxed invitation', 'cuddle bunny', 'holding the moth' and 'boy boy boy'.
Really? Oblivion with Bells is the complete opposite, for me, haha - it's an album I'll put on when everything seems awful and fucked-up and wrong, because it comforts me so much. It's got an edge of sadness to it, sure (Beautiful Burnout with its gentle melancholy, Boy Boy Boy and its sense of disconnection, and to an extent, Faxed Invitation), but for me, anyway, it's an album about hope. I'd liken it to stepping out of the house after a stormy, rain-soaked evening into a clear dawn. Tracks like 'To Heal', 'Ring Road' and 'Crocodile', are all filled with a certain sense of peace ("all these things in me, in me" / "and every time I think of you, I get my peace back"). And the fact that the album ends with Good Morning Cockerel and Best Mamgu Ever kind of drives it home for me - the use of piano and delicate, gentle synths in them are just the best!