Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2006, 12:17 PM
patrick
river

my new great albumn obsessions
so i figure not much new stuff has been mentioned here in music forums for a while so i thought i'd try to get the ball rolling with a few of the new albumns i have got (bought or downloaded) recently that have made the biggest impact with me, and a line or two of kinda what they are about...

start it off with:

infadels - we are not the infadels....
okay,this albumn is just fantastic. have only had it for a week or so but am already into every song on the albumn save a few and some of them are among my favorite rock songs in a long long time. to me, bit of bloc party, the faint and dandy warhols... (does have a lot of cool guitar riffs and electronics too)

the knife - silent shout
pretty electro and alll that genre. people that know their earlier albumn should be pleased or people generally into electronic/idm/ or whatever. i have little idea of the actual genre of it, but it's good, and pretty creepy.

big bud - fear of flying
big bud is probably my favorite dnb artist, maybe just a bit more fav. than bukem. reminds me a lot of late night blues, disk one in this is lots of spacey drum and bass and then disk two is a lot more chilled, trippy and jazzy. disk two is my favorite and songs like catch 22 and how i mkae my g's, and just can't hold me down are great... summer tunes!

aceyalone & rjd2 - magnificent city
got this promo and it's really quite pleasing. got a bad review on pitchfork which is one of the ways to find a good albumn on pitchfork. rjd2 lays down a great background the whole time, which is no suprise for me, and aceyalone is a pretty reasonable mc. songs like fire, high lights, and disconnected are my favs...

a couple others that have been good are:

guitar - tokyo: really chill, seems to me inspired heavily by traditional jap music.

ugly duckling - bang for the buck: my bro got me into this and it's really good too, best u.d. for me! good hip hop, fairly jazzy... recommended for hip hop lovers.

oh. also the coldcut, apparat w/ ellen allien and the spank rock albumns are grood and worth checking out, expecially the spank rock if you haven't yet...
Old 02-28-2006, 12:37 PM
Leon
bungalow

Re: my new great albumn obsessions
So how's the Guitar album?! I've only got their track called "Sunkissed" and I think it's one of the greatest songs I've heard in years, seriously.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:46 PM
the mongoose
talks to God

diggin' the Infadels (so far so good)
hate the Knife ("shut that chick up please") but gave it a solid try.

Old 03-01-2006, 11:52 AM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Quote:
Originally Posted by the mongoose
hate the Knife ("shut that chick up please") but gave it a solid try.

That's the girl that sings on "What Else is There" by Royksopp, right? Liked her almost-Bjork vocals for that track, but can see how they'd get annoying over the course of an album
Old 03-01-2006, 12:30 PM
dubnobasswithme
koob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden
That's the girl that sings on "What Else is There" by Royksopp, right?
aye. that would be her. yeah, i'm not 100% sure about this knife album. the mp3 blogs seem to be drooling over it (or at least over 'heartbeats'), but i too am not really sure if a whole album of those sorts of vocals would do it for me.

might have to preview it through itunes or something like that....

uw0006
Old 02-28-2006, 05:21 PM
patrick
river

quite a bit different than sunkissed. that is a f'in killer track, but the albumn tokyo is a LOT more chilled and very asian influenced, wheras the sunkissed albumn to me is more like songs (or at least critical parts of them) played in reverse...

edit: just realized you meant just the track, so i'd say about the same. quite a bit different cause the tokyo albumn is very eastern sounding. very very very nice though. relaxing, and sexy...

Last edited by patrick; 02-28-2006 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:14 PM
koisk

I also got 'Magnificent City' - I admit I'm a little disappointed. I wasn't crazy about the beats on Acey's 'Accepted Eclectic' but really liked his lyrics and flow. Now I really like Rjd2's beats but it seems like acey's not up to par or something. Still a good listen though.

Thanks about the others, will have to check those out.

By the way, when you say that the Knife is electro, do you mean '808 kraftwerk' electro or 'miss kittin and the hacker electroclash' electro?
Old 03-01-2006, 02:53 PM
patrick
river

Quote:
Originally Posted by koisk
I also got 'Magnificent City' - I admit I'm a little disappointed. I wasn't crazy about the beats on Acey's 'Accepted Eclectic' but really liked his lyrics and flow. Now I really like Rjd2's beats but it seems like acey's not up to par or something. Still a good listen though.

Thanks about the others, will have to check those out.

By the way, when you say that the Knife is electro, do you mean '808 kraftwerk' electro or 'miss kittin and the hacker electroclash' electro?
ya. it is definatly miss kittin and the hacker style of electro. far from kraftwerk...

i think that the aceyalone stuff isn't great mc'in but i think that rjd2 makes up for it... really good i think
Old 03-01-2006, 11:52 PM
djeddy
chacabon! macaron!

i'm not sure if this would be considered an album obsession..but

Global Communication - Fabric 26
so what if it's a mix cd. its all over the place. first 35 minutes you got broken hip-hop electro funk from mark; second 35 minutes has spacey disco from tom. what more could you ask for?

Manual - Azure Vista
a great album. shoegazing style. its deep, ambient and has a serious Simple Minds-like 'sound'. A great fill for the mind during this pretty long Schnauss-free stretch.

Jay Dee - Donuts
i already got a thread on this. i'd tell you more but im not supposed to talk about hip-hop here.

Keane - Hopes and Fears
yes i know its old. yes i know it makes me sound like a cold played pussy. BUT my gf makes me play it over and over and over in the car..i dunno; apparently she loves it better than her X+Y.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:31 AM
groovypanda
old man einstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by djeddy
Keane - Hopes and Fears
yes i know its old. yes i know it makes me sound like a cold played pussy. BUT my gf makes me play it over and over and over in the car..i dunno; apparently she loves it better than her X+Y.
Oh. My. God.