Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2009, 11:03 PM
den
100% of nothing

Send a message via AIM to den Send a message via MSN to den
Happy Birthday Beaucoup Fish
Beaucoup Fish.

10 years old.

So how does this one stand up after a decade? It's hard to believe it's been that long.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:22 AM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Re: Happy Birthday
"Stand Up"...hah!

Still my favorite UW album. When "Cups" transitions into the techno workout in the final minutes, i still get chills. And then, it's the killer trio of "Push Upstairs", "Jumbo" and "King of Snake".
Probably more dance-oriented than any of the other albums, or at least had the most singles released, but i think it still sounds great!
Old 03-07-2009, 10:18 AM
galama
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
"Stand Up"...hah!

Still my favorite UW album. When "Cups" transitions into the techno workout in the final minutes, i still get chills.
The track just ended and i sat down to see what's up on the forum. Yep, i get the chills too. The introduction and ending of King of Snake always manages to stretch a smile on my face, and what lies between those parts is pure bliss.

happy Bday Beaucoup Fish
Old 03-07-2009, 10:55 AM
Dirty0900
Only £50 a show,book now.

I can remember listening to it when my dad bought it home from work for me. Class album.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:43 PM
den
100% of nothing

Send a message via AIM to den Send a message via MSN to den
Quote:
"Stand Up"...hah!
That was completely unintentional. Beaucoup Fish was the first new UW album that came out after I discovered them. I still remember rushing home to fire up to modem to spend 30 minutes downloading Kittens. I have the giant BF poster hanging in bedroom, actually. I missed all of the concerts since they were 18+ and then 21+. It also around the same time I discovered the dirtylist.

Anyways, I think the albums hold up pretty well. It may sort of sound like the late 90's, but that's probably just by association. I don't think it sounds dated at all. However, I think Dubno, as good as it still is, sounds partly early 90's, by which I mean you wouldn't hear something new today sounding like that.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:27 PM
beh
CLT

I have my own story. First all, 3/6 in the European release date, not North America, it was later. Ten years ago tomorrow (3/11), I moved from North Carolina, where I lived for all my life (Charlotte growing up, Chapel Hill [college: UNC] the rest), to the Bay Area (Palo Alto), CA. I remember a few weeks later, still new to the whole California thing, driving to the Tower in Mt View to get the new Blur album, 13, the day it came out. I picked up my copy and rounded the corner -- the end display was a selection of limited edition, pre-release BF CDs (it was a cardboard fold out, not a jewel case like the normal release). I immediately grabbed a copy, what a surprise!

At that time, I had dubno and STITI, was a big fan, and knew BF's regular release was still a few weeks away.

Well, I decided to put BF in the CD player on the way home instead of 13.

Quote:
When "Cups" transitions into the techno workout in the final minutes, i still get chills.
I still vividly remember hearing the transition in Cups right when I was turning out of the parking lot onto El Camino Real and thought, "holy shit, this is incredible!". I still get the chills!

But looking back on my early CA times (was only briefly in Palo Alto before moving to SF), this moment is very prevalent of my time there. When I hear that transition, I still recall this moment.

Good times, good memories. Happy annivesary to me and BF!
Brad

PS. I saw Underworld for the first time a few weeks later. 4/29/99 - Warfield, SF, CA.

PPS. I still remember Scott Warner's review of BF on the front page of dirty.org, with the free Kittens mp3.

Last edited by beh; 03-10-2009 at 08:41 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:47 AM
selector
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by beh View Post

PPS. I still remember Scott Warner's review of BF on the front page of dirty.org, with the free Kittens mp3.
Yeah, the dirtylist was where most of us communicated and shared thoughts and ideas.... I do remember Scott saying something like, "at 2:37 into Trk.3", (Jumbo), "This is why I do what I do." (running dirty and such.)

I remember feeling the same way. aahhhh, Emotion!

Cheers...
Old 06-02-2009, 01:07 PM
mark3
pants

Quote:
When "Cups" transitions into the techno workout in the final minutes, i still get chills.
I found a promo of BF in my collection - track 1 is "Cups / Pens"...?
So I assume the 'techno' part which starts at 8:20 is "Pens" - or is it "Cups"?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	beaucoup0001.JPG
Views:	394
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	220  
Old 06-02-2009, 02:50 PM
Dirty0900
Only £50 a show,book now.

Re: Happy Birthday Beaucoup Fish
Must be a pre-promo promo with that. Though it isn't the pre-promo-promo where Kittens was gonna be Stack My Fridge Up.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:23 PM
ultradave
the doorway boy...

Re: Happy Birthday Beaucoup Fish
beaucoup fish. still one of my favourites, and the only uw album i own on minidisc (it's pretty cool - although i no longer have a MD player...). i remember picking up the cd w/my wife at my favourite cd store at the time. unknown to me, the album was scheduled for US release the following day... the guy at the counter had received a promo copy and he had it under the counter, so when i aksed about it, he said, "yeah, i've got a copy right here, i'll give it to you for $7.99" - score!

i really miss the brick & mortar stores... it was such a high when you found an item you had been searching for... i think i'm going to have to listen to BF when I get home from work tonight. cheers!