Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2006, 11:16 AM
matt
old man einstein

the avalanche - sufjan stevens
anyone else got this yet?

only heard it a couple of times so can't really comment - it is an out-take album after all but even so there's some great new tracks here, especially the avalanche and springfield and its kind of interesting to hear different takes on chicago

not an album to rival illinois obviously but definitely a worthy companion piece...
Old 07-30-2006, 12:23 PM
Stephen
Hi! I'm Barry Scott!

Re: the avalanche - sufjan stevens
Decided I wanted to hear this on my way down to London this weekend and as the copy I'd ordered hadn't turned up, downloaded it on soulseek and had it on repeat in the car. Initial impressions were exactly the same as the Illinois album, i.e. nothing stood out at all at first. However, 3 listens in and I'm seriously impressed. There is nothing on here that I would pick-out as an 'outtake'. There are certainly tracks that I would consider as being better than some of the stuff that made the final cut of Illinois. Particularly The Avalanche, Dear Mr Supercomputer and Pittsfield.

Goddamn it Mr Stevens is certainly a prolific songwriter. Pick this up you lot.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:00 PM
den
100% of nothing

Send a message via AIM to den Send a message via MSN to den
If Mr. Stevens is going to fulfill his promise of an album for every state, he probably shouldn't be putting out outtake albums.

I'm sure this album is good. I still really like Illinois, but some reason, I never listen to it. I know it's good, but I always seem to think of the more annoying parts that I just don't like. I guess that's not really fair, but I don't know how else to explain this. When I think about the songs, I like them a lot less than when I actually listen to them. I don't know.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:04 PM
the mongoose
talks to God

I read the thread title too quick and thought it was about a new cd from the avalanches......
Old 08-01-2006, 01:17 AM
Eikman
a life less extraordinary

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mongoose
I read the thread title too quick and thought it was about a new cd from the avalanches......
haha....the title of the next avalanches (god bless them) album will be......"sufjan stevens". that would be hilarious.

Last edited by Eikman; 08-01-2006 at 04:25 AM.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:59 AM
Stephen
Hi! I'm Barry Scott!

Quote:
Originally Posted by den
If Mr. Stevens is going to fulfill his promise of an album for every state, he probably shouldn't be putting out outtake albums.
I'm sure this album is good. I still really like Illinois, but some reason, I never listen to it. I know it's good, but I always seem to think of the more annoying parts that I just don't like. I guess that's not really fair, but I don't know how else to explain this. When I think about the songs, I like them a lot less than when I actually listen to them. I don't know.
I can't get enough of Illinois. It's like crack to me. What tracks do you find annoying? I wouldn't choose to listen to most of the instrumentals/interludes on their own, but as part of the album as a whole they work brilliantly. As for the 50 states/outtakes comment, apparently Illinois was originally conceived as a double album and the strength of the tracks that appear on The Avalanche suggests that it would have been an excellent double album at that. The Avalanche is better than so many other artists' best stuff. And apparently he may have been pulling our collective leg with the 50 states project. In interviews he's apparently wavered between stony-faced seriousness and simply laughing it off. We shall see. You're right though, he'll need to pull his finger out if he intends to finish the 50 before he dies.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:55 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

as someone who loved illinois a great deal i was completely disappointed in this outtake... thing. there's about three songs i didnt toss in the trash bin.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:15 PM
den
100% of nothing

Send a message via AIM to den Send a message via MSN to den
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
I can't get enough of Illinois. It's like crack to me. What tracks do you find annoying? I wouldn't choose to listen to most of the instrumentals/interludes on their own, but as part of the album as a whole they work brilliantly. As for the 50 states/outtakes comment, apparently Illinois was originally conceived as a double album and the strength of the tracks that appear on The Avalanche suggests that it would have been an excellent double album at that. The Avalanche is better than so many other artists' best stuff. And apparently he may have been pulling our collective leg with the 50 states project. In interviews he's apparently wavered between stony-faced seriousness and simply laughing it off. We shall see. You're right though, he'll need to pull his finger out if he intends to finish the 50 before he dies.
I should give it a fair chance and listen to it again. Sometimes I think it sounds too saccharine and sing-songy. Casimir Pulaski Day always got on my nerves. (One cool thing about growing up in Illinois is that I remember having having Pulaski Day off from school. And I also know who Pulaski was.) Even Chicago can be too much in larger doses. I know I'm going to listen the album and totally love the thing now.

I really hope he does follow through with the 50 states plan. How fucking cool would that be? It would have to be one of the greatest musical achievements.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:40 PM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

I just listened to it for the first time yesterday. Was a little underwhelmed, simply because it basically sounded just like the rest of his state songs stuff without anything new to offer. Still, the man's a great songwriter and I loved Illinois so I couldn't help but like this one, although the three different versions of "Chicago" was kinda lame considering none of them came close to the original which is probably my favorite song of the 00's decade so far.