Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2008, 12:37 PM
Pilsburydoeboy97
Josh P

Does anybody know...
Does anyone know what type of digital camera Karl and Rick use to take the pictures on Underworldlive.com?
It seems like they carry the camera(s) every place they go, so it can't be too nice..
Old 06-08-2008, 01:50 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Re: Does anybody know...
Karl takes most of the daily photographs on his cell phone camera. Rick takes most of the high-rez photos, but I don't think he's snapping all the time like Karl is.

Karl writes more about his photo process in the diary entries found at the end of this thread:

http://www.darktrain.org/dirty/forum...ead.php?t=8364
Old 06-08-2008, 02:10 PM
Pilsburydoeboy97
Josh P

That's interesting, they seem to be pretty good quality images. I would love to start doing that sort of thing. Thanks.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:44 AM
big screen satellite
Still Number 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilsburydoeboy97 View Post
That's interesting, they seem to be pretty good quality images. I would love to start doing that sort of thing. Thanks.

well you can get pretty good quality camera phones these days, the N95 has a 5 mpix res, and takes some pretty good pictures (not sure what phone KH has though), i'm sure there some with higher mpixels too, some camera phones are better than some standard cameras these days
Old 06-12-2008, 07:05 AM
industri_studios
mouseman

Only real issue with camera phones is the zoom. They all use digital zoom (since they don't have lenses that actually move, like "real" cameras), which is essentially "digital crop" - as they can't improve the picture all that much when zooming in. They're also less receptive to low light.

All that being said, a decent camera phone can produce some nice shots (especially in clear natural lighting).
Old 06-12-2008, 08:58 AM
patrick
river

yes, the overall lens quality leaves much to be desired... you just can't get a good shot with a lens that is only a 1/8" diameter. There just isn't enough light to get the sensor good and lite-up, and thus you end up with a super noisy image. Also the plastic, non-focusing doesn't help... So for a good photo I feel it will be a long time, if ever, we can make sensors good enough and crisp enough for a proper photo, but they are GREAT for the things that you just walk by and think "that is 'kinda' interesting", or for stealth / public reporting...