Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2008, 04:23 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

New Live CD's - Brixton Academy Oct. 31 & Nov. 1
I wanted to break this discussion out of the uwlive.com thread, because I think it deserves some more focus.

To recap:

1. New live CD's for the Oct. 31 and Nov. 1 Brixton shows are available for (pre-)order at underworldlive.com. £15 each. These will NOT be available for purchase at the show. Only on the website.
2. Those who order the CD's will be given MP3 download links within hours after the show.
3. The other purchase option for the 2 shows is WAV download which will be available on Nov. 10. £10 each.
4. Underworld will be handling distribution rather than Live Here Now (although I believe LHN is still producing the shows).
5. Old LHN shows from 2007-2008 are also available on underworldlive.com for £12 each.

Now, UW seems to have addressed a lot of the concerns (complaints?) that were voiced in the previous live cd thread. First of all, there is a download option now with the WAV's. Also, the added bonus of immediate MP3 downloads for those who purchased the CD's. Well done, I say.

Also, there's the distribution of the CD's being handled themselves (or rather, a fulfillment company), rather than the mess that Live Here Now left. I assume this is the same company that's been fulfilling orders for the rest of the merchandise on the underworldlive.com Shop, and I believe everyone that's ordered stuff so far (The Bells The Bells, etc.) has been happy with it? And it came much faster than the 3-20 weeks that LHN took?

Regarding the pricing, for the WAV download, I think it's fair. To compare, Pearl Jam was charging US$15 for FLAC shows during 2005-6 and Depeche Mode charged US$20 for lossy downloads of their 2006 shows. So I think Underworld's pricing falls fairly in there. For the CD's, £15 seems a tad high, but really nothing to complain about or make me not want to buy them. The older shows at £12 each now though are certainly more attractive. And I guess we have to remember the £15 shows come with the immediate MP3 gratification now too.

The only suggestion I have is regarding the WAV's. Pretty much all players support losslessly compressed audio these days. I don't see any reason why these shouldn't be offered in FLAC and Apple Lossless formats. If those 2 formats were offered, I think it would cover 99% of computers and mobile players, and everyone would save about 50% in disk space and bandwidth. And by offering those formats, they can also be distributed with metadata that WAV doesn't support, like Song and Artist tags and song and album artwork.

I have a feeling the Brixton shows will be something special. I'm jealous of those that get to go, and happy that those that can't go can buy the CD's.

Last edited by TheBang; 09-30-2008 at 04:57 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:11 AM
testudo
JunkiesCriminalsFugitives

Location: The international territory and the mighty infamous
Re: New Live CD's - Brixton Academy Oct. 31 & Nov. 1
November first I am getting married... UW will be played at the wedding... My fiancee and I may even fly right after the wedding to see this show...
Old 10-01-2008, 09:56 AM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Quote:
Originally Posted by testudo View Post
November first I am getting married... UW will be played at the wedding... My fiancee and I may even fly right after the wedding to see this show...
Nice one! Congrats and great choice of wedding tunes.possible honeymoon stop!

As for the latest LHN recording, i'd go for that WAV option. Not placing too much confidence in the delivery of the discs on time. i'm happy to burn my own.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:18 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
As for the latest LHN recording, i'd go for that WAV option. Not placing too much confidence in the delivery of the discs on time. i'm happy to burn my own.
But . . . the artwork. And besides, it should be fine with LHN no longer handling distribution.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:35 AM
testudo
JunkiesCriminalsFugitives

Location: The international territory and the mighty infamous
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
Nice one! Congrats and great choice of wedding tunes.possible honeymoon stop!

Thank you very much... It would be nice if Karl and Rick give a shout out! its looking more and more like we will have a honeymoon stop at the show!
Old 10-01-2008, 12:58 PM
negative1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
But . . . the artwork. And besides, it should be fine with LHN no longer handling distribution.
maybe they'll have a pdf or something for the cover, or notes..
it shouldn't be that hard to find..

later
Old 10-01-2008, 02:20 PM
BeautifulBurnout
MadMinistrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by testudo View Post
Thank you very much... It would be nice if Karl and Rick give a shout out! its looking more and more like we will have a honeymoon stop at the show!
Congrats Testudo! I will be there on the 1st and would be delighted to buy you and your intended a drink to celebrate!
Old 10-01-2008, 04:20 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by negative1 View Post
maybe they'll have a pdf or something for the cover, or notes..
A PDF is no substitute for cold, hard matter, IMO.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:33 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
A PDF is no substitute for cold, hard matter, IMO.
this times infinity. i dont understand how a pdf replaces real product.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:37 PM
negative1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubman View Post
this times infinity. i dont understand how a pdf replaces real product.
so why do we put up with that for the book of jam?

it doesn't replace it, who said that? it is something that
fills the gap, instead of having nothing...

they're perfectly fine, if you want to print out your own..
and want to save money, etc..

that being said, its a trade off...get it directly downloaded,
without the risk ....

or pray, that your order will actually make it out to you.. hopefully
the same year..

later