View Single Post
Old 07-25-2009, 09:52 AM
Strangelet
rico suave

Re: corporatism sucks (IE transformers 2, IE Crunch)
mmm skyscraper, you might find this interesting.

from life inc, page 218

Quote:
Besides, no matter how critical of corporatism some entertainers and journalists might be, the impact of their arguments is undercut by their dependence on corporatized media for dissemination. Stephen Colbert and Jon Stewert work for Viacom. Naomi Klein writes for a division of the german publisher Verlagsgruppe, and this book is published by a subsidiary of Bertelsmann. We all have mortages to pay even the most progressive journalism - just the like the kind that emerged in the early 1900's- tend to frighten and isolate the middle classes rather than bering them out of their homes to improve their communities....

The problem with fighting the "Big Blank" on its own turf and terms is that it has more money, more access to the government and media through which the battle takes place, better command of the symbols and semantics tha sway public sentiment, and more time to spend waiting for the results it wants. Real people working against it, on the other hand, need to keep alive, employed, and motivated. We need to steer clear of actionable copyright violation and libel, shield ourselves from the emotional damage caused by Internet "trolls" paid to insult or lie about us online, and still manage to maintain an audience willing to listen to what we have to say and then to actually do something about it instead of just nodding, passing on a link, and closing the computer for the night.
Well I'm going to do something, goddammit. I'm going to Hot Topic and buy a "che" shirt.

- Mark Twain