View Single Post
Old 01-22-2011, 12:27 AM
bryantm3
It's Written In The Book!

Re: Dutch on verge of getting most right wing government in the EU, in dutch history
Quote:
Originally Posted by human151 View Post

Sorry about jumping to different topics, but they all tie in together. I'll leave you with this link about the muslim actress from the Harry Potter films.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE70K3DP20110121

Apparently, the Males of the family want to force her to adhere to her muslim culture, while she wants to be just British. This is a cultural dispute. In their country of origin this act is completely acceptable.

Also, I am pretty sure that you are a liberal person. What about the muslim religion/culture makes you think that the majority of the muslim people would accept your way life and thoughts? In my opinion, the muslim religion is the polar opposite to liberalism.
well, have you ever heard of house rules? for example, if you're living at home with your dad and mum still, and you bring playboy magazines and kegs of beer in the basement. your parents lay down the law and say "we aren't going to have that in our house". this is a reasonable responsibility a parent should be able to take. when it becomes different is when the parent or relative steps over the line and begins violating the law. where it becomes different is when the person moves away and the family follows them and refuses to leave them alone. there is a difference between legal acts of the parents and violating the law.

in this situation, the law was clearly violated. but that's not what you were aiming at before— before you were discussing cultural differences that are entirely legal for anyone in france or britain to take part in, and how a certain culture should not be allowed to have those rights. now you're talking about the differences in law between the two countries. so it seems we're just moving the line around— what is the line to cross in your opinion? in my opinion, the immigrants should be allowed to do whatever they wish to do as long as they don't violate standing laws in that country. to me that is the extent that they are required to adapt.