View Single Post
Old 03-19-2016, 07:15 PM
botkiller
-tired, so tired.

Re: SPIN Interview with Karl
Quote:
Originally Posted by khouri View Post
Very interesting indeed. A little disheartening that the last decade's music isn't held in very high regard, at least not by Karl. I think Underworld created an utterly unique sound in that decade. Everything from AHDO through Oblivion and the live shows and broadcasts and the art jam music and soundtracks and the books of jam and the RiverRuns... all of it to me is this massive artistic statement of sound and vision that I love dearly. So find out they weren't really keen on that stuff, and even feuding, that's a bummer. But I suppose the band would agree the music is the most important thing, and that music definitely works for me.

This interview also sheds more light on the way Karl approaches creating art, which I think might be a topic of debate. Ever since Barking (or perhaps more accurately, since the writing of the songs that became Badking), Karl seems more and more inclined towards form over function in his work, which I think has resulted in three non Underworld albums and one new UW album that IMO collectively amount to his least interestingl output since Underworld began.
Being an artist and interacting with others to make that art is so fucking hard. I really admire those that do it for as long as UW has. The longest I've usually pulled it off has been about five years, and then it all fucking implodes.