View Single Post
Old 07-10-2005, 10:00 PM
gambit
magic city writer

Writing group thread
All right, it's nice to see that I've gotten some good response for a writing group, so here's the official thread for it. For those who don't know, we send bits of writing (short stories, poems, essays, novel chapters, etc...) to each other, read them, and comment on any mistakes or anything that doesn't make sense on a stylistic and thematic level. So far there are five members:

me
holden
b.miller
grady
myrrh

I'm sure no one will protest if there are a few more join, but I don't think we want to get the group too big. Anyway, how about setting some ground rules?

First, only send your work via email. This should be obvious, but don't post your work on the forums here just so no one steals it.

Second, I think each week should feature one piece from someone. I've sent my first story to everyone this week, so it should be someone else's turn this coming Friday (or Saturday depending on what works for everyone), and so on until it gets back to me in maybe five weeks time. How does this sound to everyone?

Third, in case someone doesn't have a piece to send to everyone and is mostly here to help others (which is fine), then we'll skip ahead to someone else. Or if someone just doesn't have anything they're finished with, then we'll skip ahead just the same. Personally, I have three, maybe four, more stories in the bank.

I think having a time table for those of us aspiring to be writers will help motivate us to write more. I know when I was in college that the creative writing courses (which were about four courses total) I took were the most productive times in my four and a half years there. Obviously, we don't want to rush or force anyone with their writing, but sometimes we all need a little push.

Thoughts?