View Single Post
Old 07-15-2020, 08:52 PM
jetpig
LoveyouLoveyouLoveyou

Re: RicksDubbedOutDriftExperience and DRIFT Series 1 Complete
@potatobroth: https://soundcloud.com/angrish/live-...ds-20-oct-2017
Higher quality and video are on the tracker too. A truly excellent set. It really feels like a 2002-2009 era set with 2017's back catalog.

The screen was doing much more in 2010 when they first got it. They were basically doing all the music videos on it for 2010-2012.

Adding to live surprises, they unveiled a new track and fully released it all in sync with a live stream and broadcast with TeatimeDub. You can't do something like that if everything is off the cuff. The last few years they've done a pretty good job of rotating out some archive gems, too. I never imagined they'd dust something like Why, Why, Why off for the stage again, and we got a new Dirty rework some 15 years on.

I really think WhiteNoise nailed it. I can see how getting that mix just how you want it and touring it for everyone to see could seem attractive to the band. It's also worth noting that the one really special leftfield set (ADE) in recent memory was live streamed for everyone to see, and the other one (Rick's prejam) was just released for us. Unique concerts are really cool, and when everything goes great it's hard to beat, but I can imagine it being equally frustrating when the mixes just don't come together. The catch to all that is that youtube clips become show spoilers, and for many here that was the only way to keep up with what they were doing for a long time.