View Single Post
Old 04-24-2008, 02:49 PM
ultradave
the doorway boy...

Re: Introduce Yourselves
just call me dAvE...

it's a pleasure to be your acquaintance.
my first uw exposure was in 95 - Cowgirl on the Hackers movie soundtrack. it was a little obscure to me back then, but i never skipped the track when it came on. my 2nd exposure was in 97 - Pearl's Girl on the Saint movie soundtrack and immediately i was hooked, however, i didn't make any attempts to find any other tracks by them at the time (i think i was too busy with the female gender at the time). my 3rd exposure which was the major link was also in 97 - Born Slippy. NUXX. i heard it on K-ROQ on Jed the Fish's Catch of the Day one fine afternoon and i immediately NEEDED more. unfortunately, no name of the band or track was given. so for several months i tried various searches of alternate means. little did i know it was underworld - a band i had already been familiar with and liked very much. so my search was put on hold. a few months later, my best friend was married and that very evening (it was an early wedding) - me and a few new friends i had made went out to a club. on the way, in an old Audi - 6 of us packed in a 5 seater - that unmistakable tone came on... i was shouting to the driver (since it was her radio and whom i developed a strong infatuation with due to her obsession with music), "what is that song? who sings that song? where did you get it?!!!" - born slippy, trainspotting soundtrack... this would be my favourite and most memorable uw moments. and so began the great obsession. i have been riding the dark train ever since.
i've had the pleasure of seeing uw perform live 2 times - once in 99 at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium and recently in 07 at the Hollywood Bowl. i can't wait for their return to So. Cal.
as for favourite private uw moment - it would probably be the day i went to the beach and sat in the sand looking at the ocean with beaucoup fish in my ears... well a cross between that moment or the moment my daughter came into this world - while at the hospital w/my wife, the nurse brought her to us (all bundled up), and i hit play on my iPod and of course, i had to play Born Slippy. those 2 moments actually go hand in hand because it was at that moment at the beach that made me think about parenthood.

aside from being an uw fan, i draw and i write. i prefer mac over pc and i own a music library of over 30,000 tracks. my life is a soundtrack. i do owe alot of my inspiration to the artistic duo that is Karl Hyde and Rick Smith. and if you're reading, thank you...

Last edited by ultradave; 04-24-2008 at 02:56 PM.