View Single Post
Old 11-06-2019, 07:16 AM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

Re: DRIFT Series 1 - New album, Nov 1, 2019
Me too, I listen to this disc by disc, not all at once. (same with Autechre's latest, though lol @ even those being 2 hours apiece)

I do think they're getting away from the album 'format' (sampler aside) - it doesn't *quite* feel like Underworld just dropped 6 new albums, as the discs are structured differently than their LPs are (for example "Threat of Rain" is not something you'd ever hear on one of their albums). But that's sort of a good thing, like most people on this board I think the true spirit of Underworld comes through on the early EPs, the deep cuts, the Riverruns or that one track they played one time but for some reason never released. Drift is pretty much all stuff like that. To me the difference here is not so much the decision to just release everything as it is the decision to finish it all and let it stand on its own. When they announced this project I was worried that you'd hear a lot of stuff that sounded like demos or were incomplete (like the bonus material on the Super Deluxe albums) but the level of detail on these tracks is astounding. They don't necessarily feel like 'albums' in the vein of say BF or OWB but I think this approach plays more to their strengths.