Thread: Paul Auster
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2007, 05:42 PM
grady
fac321

Re: Paul Auster
Quote:
Originally Posted by winjer
We're on a very similar litereary sphere.... my addiction to Murakami a couple years ago was definatley only really broken by Auster novels...

The New York Trilogy is definatley my fave... any reason you didn't read The Locked Room? Typically I see the three published together....

Not sure about his latest couple.... his most recent has gotten pretty awful reviews, so I've stayed away.
I made a small mistake in the initial post and switched The Locked Room with Music of Chance. It should've been The Locked Room initially.

That makes me worried knowing his last few have gotten pretty awful reviews. I've been trying to avoid reading the reviews of his novels until I've finished them.

I just recently picked up this book, Collected Prose of Paul Auster. Should be fun to get into.

winjer, if you have the chance, it's worth tracking down this issue of the Paris Review, it's the 50th anniversary issue that was published right after the death of George Plimpton, the magazines editor, but it also features an interview with Paul Auster as part of the magazine's Art of Fiction interview collection.

And on that note, I gotta put in a mention of the Paris Review's interview with Haruki Murakami in the Summer of 2004 issue. Like the Auster interview, it's a part of the Art of Fiction interview series. The Murakami interview is a great read as it gets into almost all of his work including Kafka on the Shore which hadn't been published in the states as of the issues publication in the summer of 04.

What kind of other stuff have you been reading?