View Single Post
Old 04-20-2011, 07:25 AM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

Re: Really Random Donovan question
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpee View Post
So hang on, for Catch The Wind theres the single version, an album version for the debut album and theres the one for greatest hits?

...as far as I understand it - yes. Well - actually, there's:
Catch the Wind (album version)
Catch the Wind (Mono single version)
Catch the Wind (Single Version w/ Strings)
Catch the Wind (Re-recorded "Greatest Hits" vinyl only version)

plus any live concert recordings...

Although, I'm really not a Donovan expert.

It's been a while since I've listened to either "Catch the Wind" or "Colours" off the Greatest Hits compilation... but from what I recall...

Catch the Wind was similar to the single version with strings, but still slower... and the guitar wasn't as prominent. It didn't sound "Bob Dylan influenced" at all (which I don't think you could say about the other versions)

Colours basically sounded just like the 'normal' version, except it's in stereo and has prominent backing vocals. So like every time he sings "That's the time" there's a few other voices that come up afterwards repeating it. There might've also been some organ or keyboard in the background as well...

and from what I've gleaned through looking for those two "Greatest Hits Vinyl Only Exclusive Tracks" -> most of the 'Donovan community' don't like those versions, and they're not really officially recognized anymore.*

It's just soooo frustrating, b/c it took me a while to find the 12" of Greatest Hits in decent quality (not scratched to hell) - and in the 3 1/2 weeks I was back home visiting family (where all my records are in storage) I couldn't get TEN MINUTES just to record those two tracks onto my laptop!

*Sort of like how Lou Reed doesn't really acknowledge his album before "Transformer" or the Velvet Underground album after "Loaded" (but that's a whole different topic)