View Single Post
Old 07-11-2010, 03:43 PM
sanblaster
Niet een Engelsman

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Plenty of it san - plenty of it - and the arm-waving - I thought some of the Spanish were trying to take off and fly out of the stadium.

Hah - if that was a club side playing like Holland - it would have been hailed as a "tough uncompromising" performance.

Like I said - congratulations Spain - it was a cracking finish from Iniesta. But it's not a great advertisement for the sport - at least not in my country.

I know, I know - who cares right - we're just New Zealand. But it's not in our sporting culture to fall over and roll around - you can see that watching the All Whites games - they prefer to play the ball and the game. Unlike the Italians who were grabbing their faces, and falling to the ground anytime we got close.

I know - it's part of football - and you know what - fair play to you. You won - you are the world champions.

But until the officials actually start to officiate the foul play as demonstrated by Holland - and the unseemly diving and milking (did you see the Spanish #8 kick himself - and fall over????) - football will never really take off here.

I love football - I do - it's just that the World Cup - which produces superb games - also produces ugly, unsatisfying performances like this final. The ends justify the means - and so it should.

Anyway - did I mention NZ were undefeated?

Congratulations again Spain!

We might be talking about different plays and correct me if that's the case, but doesn't Xavi kick Heitinga's calf then falls over?

The arm waving, I take it you don't mean when Van Bommel was hanging on the backs of whoever worn a blue tshirt. I'm positive this might be one of the games when there's been less diving and cheating - just watch the replays again.

The way Spain played, enhancing what Holland did in the 70's, in the middle of the physical era with the Capellos, Domenechs and Mourinhos.... this is just something else. I couldn't care less if it wasn't Spain - I obviously am delighted it was my country who made it -, talking about diving and waving after how this final was played sounds absolutely ridiculous, sorry about that.

And congrats New Zealand! Why not!
Pass me the ventolin I need some more
We have ways of making you think
They told me over a drink