View Single Post
Old 06-18-2010, 04:17 PM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by //\/\/ View Post
see earlier post re. 'life' - if you only get involved every 4 years, you can't see (or, more importantly, feel) the balance sheet clearly...

and i don't believe it's the reffing that you don't get - isn't it more the fact that there's not dozens of points being scored?

and for instant replays - again, see what i put about world cup and my son's team - the game is largely the same simple thing at any level, on any pitch. that's what makes it globally far more important, successful and popular globally than the XXX games you mention.
What do you mean I don't get the dozens of points being scored? Ohh I get it lol americans right?

Also, the whole "game is played the same at every level" thing is ridiculous...how can that be a good thing? Are you really arguing that soccer is a better sport because the officiating is done by people who are barely qualified to ref peewee soccer? Do you think the reason baseball or football hasn't caught on overseas is because there's instant replay? You sure it has nothing to do with tradition?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cured View Post
Back to the US: we can cry and whine about getting jobbed by the refs but giving up those two goals so easily has those types of consequences. As far as officiating, it is surprising that in the showcase tournament, they're essentially using training referees when there are plenty of quality officials out there. Not to say this happened in any way but what's to stop a ref who knows he's only going to officiate one or two matches from taking a few coin to skew the result of one group match? When you don't go with proven commodities, all sorts of things can happen.
That's not an excuse!! Are you saying the second half shouldn't matter? Yes USA could have played better but they still deserved the win!