View Single Post
Old 06-18-2010, 01:56 PM
cured
sikk

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by //\/\/ View Post
absolutely. fucking rubbish, that. not even the basics of control and passing were right. garbage.

rooney moaned about being booed off - what did he expect - and wtf was going on with him? never seen him play that badly - every element of his game was poor, and by the end he looked either pissed or injured.

cured; you got some of that whiskey spare?!
I ran out of booze following the Lakers win over the Celtics in game 7 of the NBA finals last night.

So what's the deal with game 3 for England and the US? If both tie, does the US advance based on goals scored if both teams play to, say 1-1?

I'd say England should have an easier time with Slovenia; the US shredded them in the second half. It'd just be nice to see my country playing with a lead for once.

Back to today's game: you're right. The passing was just awful, even when they had a play in mind. It was on set pieces that I felt they just didn't know what they wanted to do. I felt they were pressing towards the end, launching shots from 35 meters out and going away from trying to get through-balls to the guys standing at the 18. They had some decent chances but, most of the time, they held onto the ball too long.

I'm surprised a country as advanced in the game as England is playing the wait-and-see approach to attacking; I thought they'd be one-touch passing into the box with regularity. What the hell is up with that?

Back to the US: we can cry and whine about getting jobbed by the refs but giving up those two goals so easily has those types of consequences. As far as officiating, it is surprising that in the showcase tournament, they're essentially using training referees when there are plenty of quality officials out there. Not to say this happened in any way but what's to stop a ref who knows he's only going to officiate one or two matches from taking a few coin to skew the result of one group match? When you don't go with proven commodities, all sorts of things can happen.