View Single Post
Old 05-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Deckard
issue 37

Re: British muslims protest Bin ladens death
I'm willing to forgive ignorance, I'm just less forgiving of wilful ignorance.

I'm also willing to overlook the odd lapse in judgment, the odd uncalled-for sarcasm or inappropriateness. We all sink to it from time to time. But not nearly all the time. And not directed at everyone else in the very first post of a thread, as with this one. And not in direct response to polite and thoughtful posts from your opponents, as in other threads. Where's the basic courtesy there? Where's the engagement? People here have shown unbending patience with the guy over the years - certainly at the outset of a thread, when he's always had the benefit of the doubt. And it doesn't change a thing.

How many times has he come out with not just an ignorant comment but an offensively ignorant one - absolutely stupid inflammatory remarks that usually begin with "So you're happy for...."? And then one of us will type a careful response, whether brief or at length - and he just proceeds to make a new point or posts a new link, without acknowledging what's been said? It's like he doesn't WANT to engage. You can only treat your opponents like that so many times before people stop taking you seriously.

IQ is irrelevant. This isn't just about his ignorance, and it's certainly not about someone having a different point of view. It's about a more general attitude.