View Single Post
Old 06-16-2011, 01:55 PM
Sean
Where in the world...?

Re: Important Message About Sarah Palin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
Out of interest, what do you think will be the key topics during this upcoming campaign?

I'm guessing Libya (and foreign intervention generally) could be one, what with Iraq now apparently behind us.

Employment and the deficit, obviously.

Immigrants? (that's how you tell when it's election time in Britain)

Anything else stirring the American electorate particularly?

And will we have the pleasure of hearing from Joe the Plumber?
It's less a quantifiable topic that I'm anticipating, and more a pure spectacle based on the outlandish level that anti-Obama rhetoric from his opponents has reached. With people like Palin and Beck and Limbaugh and Hannity filling the heads of Tea Party types with a gut-busting helping of dogmatic rhetoric, I expect to see some high level crazy coming from the Republican candidates this election season. And it's already beginning judging from what little of the Republican debate I saw. As I mentioned, Cain came out saying it's not that he wouldn't have a Muslim in his cabinet - he would just make them pass a loyalty test that no one else would be required to pass. That was an applause getter for him. And then Newt jumped on board with an even more stark declaration that added a comparison between Muslims, Communists and Nazis - no distinction whatsoever between radicals or moderates. He too received wild applause. When Romney pointed out that the Constitution already prohibits Shariah law in the U.S., and that we're a country that respects ALL religions, he was met with silence. This, to me, was a preview of what's to come.

Basically, all the crazy they've been sowing since 2009 is ready for harvest, and it's probably going to make for quite a show.