View Single Post
Old 09-23-2010, 10:58 AM
monochrome
river

How your knowledge of the guest producers affects your Barking experience
I've been doing a lot of thinking about Barking since it came out a few weeks ago. I'm finding the record to be a solid B... not sure where I'd rank it against UW's other albums but the way I see it is that it's certainly not bad and really quite enjoyable at times.

Now, Underworld is one of my favorite bands (since BF came out when I was in 7th grade), but also one of the only electronic bands I listen to. I don't think I've ever heard High Contrast, Dubfire, PVD, etc. etc., and if I actually have I would have no way to identify their style. (They're involvement with Barking doesn't make me especially interested in seeking out their stuff, either).

So, here's what I'm thinking: those of you who know the work of these guest producers, I suspect you are a lot more critical of what they did to Underworld's songs. And, those of you like me, who can't really tell what the guests have each specifically contributed, are enjoying the album more.

Is this totally nonsense, or do some of you agree? And if it is true, what does this say about the Barking's target audience?