View Single Post
Old 09-02-2010, 10:40 AM
dc_04
mouseman

Re: Thoughts on Barking (Track by Track)
bird 1 - great groove, but a little too dubfire for me.

alaf - way too much mark knight/d. ramirez

scribble - love parts of it.. one of my favorite tracks from the last few years of live sets, but ultimately, i find myself enjoying the demo versions much more than the final product.

hamburg hotel - agree with the other assessments.. great track, but never really gets there. still though, a great listen.

grace - no. imo, it's a lazy effort all around.. especially the vocal treatment. karl isn't the world's greatest microphone wrangler, but come on.. he sounds awful.

between stars - same as alaf. way too much MK/DR.

diamond jigsaw - pvd to the max. not my thing.

moon in water - the standout, for sure. incredible groove... can't help but move your body. i really, really like this one.

louisiana - sounds like an OwB track. personally, i love it, as i love this side of UW. i do agree, though, that it feels odd on an album full of club anthems.

simple peal - as great an ambient wash as underworld has ever produced. they are masters as creating these types of sonic textures. love the granulated bell. a nice bonus.

overall.. it will probably be at the bottom of the list of underworld albums for me. i'm just not into this sound. but, the boys definitely accomplished what they wanted - they have a whole heck of a lot of huge tunes that will slay any large festival, plus be absolutely slammed by all of the big DJs. add in the remixes that are soon to follow and you've got an album with a lot of legs in the club circuit.

you've got to respect an act that can put out an album of film-score inspired tunes, and then turn around the next time and drop a handful of the biggest dance numbers in years. that type of diversity is impressive.. and ultimately.. why i love this band so damn much.

i am very much looking forward to getting my hands on disc2 of the LE box. i have a feeling that's much more the album i was hoping for

- dc