View Single Post
Old 05-08-2011, 11:18 AM
Deckard
issue 37

Re: British muslims protest Bin ladens death
Prof and Bryant - well said, chaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by human151
Its also really insulting that these protests would come form the U.K., the closest friend of the USA. The country we are most culturally similar with. Simply amazing the british people would do something like this.
^^ This one's a classic even by your standards!

Quote:
So....you are all probably going to sauy that there is nothing wrong with these muslims protesting this issue, huh?
Protest = fine.

Incitement to violence = not fine.

These protestors overstepped the mark into incitement ("USA you will pay") so yes, I see plenty wrong with what they were doing.

If however you're asking whether we agree with the object of the protest - do we agree that the killing of OBL was wrong... well it's true that I'm not entirely comfortable with state-sponsored assassination per se - but try as I might, I'm struggling to shed any tears about this one. Nope. Nothing but dry eyes here. In fact, how do I feel about bin Laden no longer being around? Pretty damn good. If we're to believe what we've been told by the US, then I think the way it was carried out was brave and appropriate. I give far more of a shit about the hundreds of innocent Pakistani and Afghan civilians who have been killed by US drone attacks than I do about the death of OBL. The world is better off without him.

Quote:
SOme, like the poster above me even equates MUSLIMS terrorists with "white conservatives" lol.
I think the point jOHN was trying to make was that generalizing about over a billion Muslims is as daft as generalizing about white conservatives. I don't believe there was any serious attempt by jOHN to suggest that flying planes into skyscrapers, killing thousands of people, and beheading innocent tourists is no worse than a Republican congressman preaching family values while secretly sucking the saucy sausage in an airport bathroom. Seriously. But then you already knew that, didn't you? You were just pretending he was making a more direct moral equivalence so that you could attack him for that instead. Which is pretty weak of you.

Last edited by Deckard; 05-08-2011 at 11:20 AM.