View Single Post
Old 12-21-2006, 04:49 PM
Strangelet
rico suave

Re: "Master & Margarita" by Bulgakov
i would say that quote you posted really says it well. To be mistical and be mistical in the realm of christianity is a subtle but inescapable fuck you to the system. And just the way bulgakov respects government and public officials as characters. Painting them as bumbling oafs, without getting into political polemics. Definitely saying more with less.

I haven't read anything else by him but I understand pets (dogs, cats, etc) are a common element.

My wife is like this margarita chick is such wish fulfillment and I'm like try being a writer in the soviet union during the 30's and see what kinds of fulfillments you'd be interested in.

have you read zamyatin? I love "We" but you have to get a good translation. His kind of subversive is much more on the literal side. But I find it just as important a distopian novel as 1984. For one its written by a russian, and second its sarcastic as fuck. Which means, just like Bulgakov, laughter becomes a weapon of freedom.

- Mark Twain

Last edited by Strangelet; 12-21-2006 at 04:52 PM.