View Single Post
Old 12-15-2005, 01:49 AM
votingfloater
waukrife

Re: Turner prize- art? or just a shed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubman
if it makes you think, if it makes you consider whether if it's art, if it's crap, if we should be outraged, anything, then i believe that it should be called art. the worst kind is that which you feel neutral to and stirs absolutely nothing.
If this hadn't won the Turner prize, it would have sunk without trace and there would be no discussion. If I'd encountered this project by chance, it would have done nothing for me. By your rationale, since it's the very act of giving it a prestigious but controversial award which creates the discussion, the prizegiving process is art and the shed/boat/shed is just a found object re-interpreted.

Is a newspaper art? No; however I have never, ever read a newspaper without it provoking much more extreme emotional and intellectual reactions than the toss that is constantly passed off as art just now. Don't get me wrong, there is good stuff out there but this isn't it. This is the work of a pillock that didn't get Transformers out of his system when he was a kid.

Rog nailed this for me: if this is what draws someone's attention to the fact that we have completely fucked the global environment, then they're probably a cretin who doesn't read the papers enough (or George Bush - guilty of Greenhouse Denial).