View Single Post
Old 12-28-2008, 07:34 PM
Future Proof
Richard Simmons

Re: Guitarists on Dirty
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulBurnout View Post
Hey, this is janie's son. I'm a guitarist, I only got my first electric last year, but I've been obsessed with jazzmasters since i tried one at the guitar amp keyboard place in Brighton. i've read some reviews saying that the tremelo system makes it go out of tune and the strings easily slip out of the lower bridge. I didn't experience any of this when i played it, but it was brand new.
I just wanted to know how it's working for you.
pete.
Well, I chose the Elvis Costello model because it had a tune-o-matic bridge installed in it as a standard, and for only $100 more. The Gibson Tune-O-Matic bridge is a common bridge assembly that is in a great many guitars, and has long been the default replacement for the sloppy standard bridge that came with the originals and now, the reissues. But the bridge alone costs about $100 to purchase, and then you'll either have to pay for a guitar tech to install it or do it yourself, and there are a few small modifications required so novices probably shouldn't attempt an installation of that kind. And I had absolutely no desire to buy a $1500 guitar, do surgery on it myself and accidentally screw it up in the process, so the EC was a good choice. Besides, I'm a big fan of earthtones and the Walnut lacquer finish called out to me before all else.

As far as the tremolo's tuning issues, those things only generally happen when a string snaps. Doing the proper thing of changing your strings out on a reasonably regular basis though prevents strings from getting so fatigued that they'll break on you more than once in a great while. As well, there's an easy to use tremolo lock system in place where if you break a string that you can easily restore tension and subsequently, the proper tuning. Of course that means no more whammy for the rest of your gig, but unless you're Kevin Shields that doesn't amount to much in the long run. Besides, the tremolo system beyond that shortcoming is absolutely brilliant in design and execution and has qualities that few other guitars boast. IMO, it's a fair trade-off.

The Classic Player models all also have the tune-o-matic style bridge in them as a default, and although "American Standard" models are often considered the best of Fender's product, those Mexican-manufactured models have a really strong track record. Looking back, if I wasn't in an elitist mindset about my purchase and did more research I may have actually gone with a Classic Player model, but it's too late to turn back now. Never-the-less, the CP models run at about $749 USD and althoguh that's not cheap by any means, you would get an amazing guitar that would stay with you over your playing career. If you get to a point in your playing where your skill level deserves a fine instrument, the CP Jazzys and Jaguars are brilliant so look there first.