View Single Post
Old 09-05-2017, 09:00 AM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

Re: Beaucoup Fish - 4 CD Remastered Deluxe Box Set (8/25/2017)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post

For me, the track that has dated the most is Moaner, and I was disappointed that there were no off-cuts or early versions in this box set, particularly as there is the awesome Relentless Legs mix.
My theory as to why there aren't any "Moaner" variations on the deluxe edition:

I wonder if there's a bit of U2's "Mofo" in the DNA of "Moaner"*

{bit of a reminder, U2 + UW collaborated on a song, where Bono walked around outside singing / speaking lyrics into a microphone, while the rest of the band jammed inside the studio. The track didn’t get released because “it sounded like an UW remix of a u2 song, instead of a collaboration” (or something to that effect).}

I had always assumed that U2 had basically finished what we know as the album version of “Mofo”, then that was used as source material for their collaboration… But, now knowing how late U2 were still mixing & recording material for “Pop”, and how early UW’s recording sessions for what would become “Beaucoup Fish” - I’m not so sure that was the case.

It’s much more likely that U2 only had elements of a song, which were brought to UW for them to ‘jam out’ until they created “Mofo”

I mean... is it just me, or does the outro of the "Album Version" of Moaner (off the single & the Batman soundtrack) sound a lot like "Mofo"?

Or even... U2's "Pop Muzik" - the super long outro (which also uses the "Mofo" baseline) - sounds very UW-ish to me...

* kinda like how it was recently 'discovered' that the Rolling Stones' "It's Only Rock 'n Roll (But I Like It)" was originally a Bowie / Jagger collab, but Keith insisted that it should be a "Stones song" - so they just added overdubs onto the original