View Single Post
Old 06-25-2009, 09:07 PM
Future Proof
Richard Simmons

Re: Michael Jackson is DEAD!
M'eh.

Extraordinary talent locked up in a freak of a man, at best an insane eccentric and at worst a pedophile... I'm not sure if he was just a deep-hearted person whose unending devotion to children made him an easy target, or a sick-minded individual who had a severely difficult time connecting with anyone that could be called his peers, and preyed on the innocence of children to satisfy his needs. I can't say that I'll ever be able to look at him as innocent in light of the worst allegations levelled on him because of the settlements. If I was an immensely successful musician who had the world to lose, I think that I would fight tooth and nail to clear my name instead of throwing money at the problem.

Given the fact that he indeed was socially aloof and that he did pay off those families, it's my personal opinion that he probably had done something wrong, and today it's hard for me to mourn the passing of someone like that. Scratch that, it's not hard... I don't mourn him at all.

What I do mourn though are the 80's, the smooth funk of the Thriller album, the power of songs like "Man In The Mirror" and the general feeling that music was so much better off because of MJ. Once the snowball started rolling down the mountain, any joy and warmth from that era was blotted away. I'm not completely certain if it was MJ or greedy families taking advantage of his kindness that ruined that but someone did, and that force ran completely contrary to everything his music stood for. In the end, the music just wasn't enough once the circus moved in. And this to me is sad -- his music could've carried on for years and years but as for myself, the music ceased to have any meaning once I got to the point where I couldn't divorce MJ the musician from MJ the insane.

Oh well. Here's to hoping that maybe one day someone else can contribute as much to music, only without the mad drama.