View Single Post
Old 07-05-2019, 05:45 AM
domsgotsideburns
mouseman

Re: Drift Episode 4 “SPACE”
i really need to reflect on this one - SPACE has undoubtedly been the most challenging yet rewarding DRIFT episode thus far. i think each episode leading up to this one has had at least some kind of cohesive theme; DUST in its first half is focused on abrasive, hard-hitting techno; ATOM is an explosion of colour and rich soundscapes, almost like a very well-rounded album; HEART still stands as the most ambient release...but SPACE though? it isn't too surprising for the band to include one of those trip-hop tracks (Boy x3, Ring Road, etc.) like Hundred Weight Hammer be on the same release as career highlights Listen To Their No or Border Country, but come on! something about the juxtaposition this time around has been really sensational. it's really had me wondering, where will DRIFT go on from here?

it's remarkable that these peculiar batch of tracks managed to be compiled together. Listen and BC are, of course, the titan tracks on this release, but the rest of the difficult material just doesn't entirely fit - yet it still sounds great as a whole. pretty much all of the material has warmed up to me from consistent listens (maybe an unpopular opinion- Schiphol Test isn't my favourite of the bunch). Karl and Rick are doing overworldly wonders with this whole project. i still yearn for the Reykjavik promo to be released (sounds like Another Silent Way if it were more fierce... can already tell it's going to be a favourite of mine), but regardless of that, bravo to the boys for gifting us with all of this new material.