View Single Post
Old 06-20-2011, 01:42 PM
Sean
Where in the world...?

Re: Important Message About Sarah Palin
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
okay, that's crap too. we really aren't all fat, that's a european delusion. come over here and see for yourself.
I'm an American who lives in Los Angeles and travels a lot for work and pleasure. And I can tell you from my firsthand experiences that yes, we are absolutely a fatter nation than most. I am not kidding that as soon as you board an international flight bound for the U.S. after being overseas for a while, you will absolutely be aware of the sudden increase in the number of obese people on the plane. I see it every single time. And I'm heading overseas again this Friday. I'll let you know on my return in a few weeks if I see the same again.

Quote:
i mean, if you go by the technical definition of "obese" which is a BMI of 30, which would fit this guy (who i googled BMI 30 for):

then, yeah, a lot of us are obese. but if you're talking about people like this:

then you're full of crap.
I agree that the BMI classifications are out of whack and seem to make little sense. I'm talking about overly large, out of shape looking people. The kind of people that you hope won't be in the seat next to you because you'll be crowded by them.

Quote:
in senior year there was a german girl who come over on a foreign exchange program, and we went on a theatre trip together. i asked her what europeans thought of americans. she said "they think you're all fat. like really fat. i haven't seen anyone like that since i've arrived."

so, are we overweight as a society? yeah, we're pudgy. but is there a higher percentage of morbidly obese people in the united states? i don't see anything to lead me to believe that.
Again, I see it all the time in my national and international travels. Have you been overseas much?